Motivation

Options
I have been exercising faithfully 5 days a week for 6 months. I'm having a debate between my mind and body. I want to walk on treadmill for 60 minutes. My body says you can do it. My mind says stop at 30 minutes. Any advice?

Replies

• TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The way I do it us just not make it an option to not do it. In my mind if I say "I'm going to exercise right when I get home from work for 45 minutes," I'm not making a suggestion to myself, I'm saying it as a factual statement. The shift from making it a "I really should do x," to " I AM going to do x," is only a slight psychological difference but it works for me. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, or if I even described it right, but that's what goes on in my weird mind.
  • lulufitmfp
    lulufitmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Usually I want to stop after 30 mins too but I try to find distractions on my phone like music or browsing pinterest or checking emails. Of course I would only advise to do this if you have good coordination.. Time flies by though from doing this for me.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    One word, Netflix.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I surprised myself at the gym today. I was uphill walking on the treadmill....I'm very new to the gym, have only been going about 10weeks. I was set by my PT a 10min uphill walk...today I decided to try 15mins. On the treadmill, there should be a setting to adjust the overall programme time, so when I was nearing 15mins, I thought, I can go longer, so I upped the total programme time to 20mins. By adjusting it in 5min steps, you only have a short way left to go so feels like you're getting through it quicker, and if your getting tired, you've only got a short amount of time until you reach the cool down setting. You'd be more likely to keep going for the short amount of time left instead of giving up if you set it at 60mins and can't quite make it. You'll feel like you've achieved the programme instead of stopping before the end of it.

Have a little play around with the machine and keep trying to beat your last length of time you walked...You'll be at 60mins before you know it!!

Good luck
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    One word, Netflix.

This. I have watched full seasons of t.v. shows while running on the treadmill and have found it much easier to run longer. That being said, I sometimes get bored and want to switch it up so I so 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes of hiit on fitness blender. Works like a charm!!
  • gotowardstheroar
    gotowardstheroar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising faithfully 5 days a week for 6 months. I'm having a debate between my mind and body. I want to walk on treadmill for 60 minutes. My body says you can do it. My mind says stop at 30 minutes. Any advice?

Don't stop. Believe in yourself and push through.
  • LizSmith55
    LizSmith55 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    See I am with you...I just can't keep motivated on the treadmill...heading outdoors is my fix. I LOVE nature & when you head out somewhere...you have to make it back so you can't "stop" until you are back on your doorstep. Keep up the good work....like a former poster said...push through it!!