Calories Burned Not Matching Up?

Options
Ok, I don't have a true HRM so let me get that out of the way, I know that will be the first question to this post. However, according to the treadmill this morning, I burned 362 calories but when I input it into MFP, it says 253. That is over 100 calories difference and I am confused. :huh: I was on the treadmill for 30 mins at 4.5 mph. Incline was always between 0.5 and 1.0. Could it be that the incline made that much difference? B/c in MFP I could only pick walking at 4.5, there was no option for incline. What do I do? I want to know which is right. I know it is basically an estimate, but I entered my weight and age on the treadmill and no, I didn't lie about it :wink: Can anyone help?

Replies

• KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't have a true HRM so let me get that out of the way, I know that will be the first question to this post. However, according to the treadmill this morning, I burned 362 calories but when I input it into MFP, it says 253. That is over 100 calories difference and I am confused. :huh: I was on the treadmill for 30 mins at 4.5 mph. Incline was always between 0.5 and 1.0. Could it be that the incline made that much difference? B/c in MFP I could only pick walking at 4.5, there was no option for incline. What do I do? I want to know which is right. I know it is basically an estimate, but I entered my weight and age on the treadmill and no, I didn't lie about it :wink: Can anyone help?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my exerbike does the same thing...the MFP number may be to a particular machine or a general body weight etc...if your machine is set up with the right info I would use your number....you just change the minutes on the MFP until you get close to your calorie number....anyway that is what I do
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    i'd go with the treadmill
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys! I didn't want to feel like I was cheating or anything, but I also didn't want to be cheated. LOL
    Options
    If the excercise machine is having you enter your age, weight and for how long then I would use that on the cals. that you had burned because that will be more close to what your excercise cals. would be, unless you have a HRM.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    I always check two other sites where you can put your weight in to compare so I have a better idea:

http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/caloriecalculator.htm

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Hope that helps!
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    You might try caloriesperhour.com, i think it has the incline listed under activity calculator.
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    Options

I don't have any machines but was wondering if you change your weight in your treadmill when you are losing weight. I noticed you have lost quit a bit and that is awesome but I think that would aslo change your calories burned maybe not as much as your difference but I just thought of it cause I had heard that somewhere else also.