Anyone else freaking out a little bit?

Options
I have been doing this lifestyle change since February I've always been big (never below 170) and now I've finally got below it I'm kind of freeking out! I put on a pair of UK size 14jeans today and they fit I was very shocked as I used to never be able to get them over my thunder thighs even before I had children.

I really think the reason this is all scaring me so much is because I have never known myself to be slim I know I still have a way to go but I feel differently now I don't know this new confident happy person I'm turning into and I worry that I won't like them. I started this journey to be healthier but its changed so much more.

Is anyone else finding this?

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    Getting under 250 was hard for me because it was a weight I knew I could maintain easily. I had to push through both a physical and a mental plateau which took a couple of weeks to do before I allowed myself to believe that I could get to a smaller weight and maintain it. I know I'll face the same challenge at 199 because that's another target weight for me. What worked for me was to go on maintenance for a week and half and see that yeah, I had the tools I needed to be able to stay that size and that yeah, I could push a little harder to go a little lower.

Good luck to you. It's hard -- mentally as well as physically -- to change your whole lifestyle.
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes. The first time I bought new jeans it hit me. I went from 42 waist to a 36 waist (yep I took my time being scared to buy smaller clothes) and it was a very hard thing to wrap my head around. I think that was the first time it actually sunk in that I had done something. Take a deep breath and count out loud to 10 then its time to go over your goals again. Now is a perfect time to fall down so build yourself up instead. You did this, great job now how much more to do? Now you will hear something you may not have heard before positive self talk. keep that up. remember today as a great day and look back at it when its 5:30 am and you are trying to keep your pace up so you can get 6 miles in today instead of the normal 5.

Great job keep it up
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've freaked out a little bit myself. I remember crying in the bathroom one day a month or two ago after looking in the mirror. I didn't recognize myself, and it was scary.
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    Just because you look different on the outside doesn't mean you have to be different on the inside. I do have to say that it's interesting how people treat one-another differently fat vs. skinny. Don't be afraid to embrase your new body and try to avoid self sabatoge.... maybe keep a journal of how you're feeling and do some self talk to ease your tension.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i am still in shock myself.. but in a good way *L*... because i have never even been close to a normal weight before.... ever... and i am getting close to being in a normal weight range and i am still surprised every time i look in the mirror. *L* who IS that woman??? *LOL*

enjoy it!
    i myself do feel differently inside...and it's a GOOD thing... because i feel more confident, and i really have no doubts at all now that i can and will be healthy... i've proven it to myself.. so how can i not feel differently.

i actually never felt like i was a fat person... i felt like inside my head i was a normal sized person trapped in a fat body of my own creation for whatever reason... problem was i was the only person who knew i was trapped in here. Now i feel like others can see the real me...and it feels pretty good *S*

i agree with the suggestion of a journal...
    i have been journalling off and on for a number of years now...and have learned more about myself through doing so than i ever knew there was to learn. it is a very powerful tool.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    I have been doing this lifestyle change since February I've always been big (never below 170) and now I've finally got below it I'm kind of freeking out! I put on a pair of UK size 14jeans today and they fit I was very shocked as I used to never be able to get them over my thunder thighs even before I had children.

I really think the reason this is all scaring me so much is because I have never known myself to be slim I know I still have a way to go but I feel differently now I don't know this new confident happy person I'm turning into and I worry that I won't like them. I started this journey to be healthier but its changed so much more.

Is anyone else finding this?

I think about this a lot, actually. I went from wearing size 40 pants to almost fitting in 36, but I hope to be in a 34 by time its over with - and down from 233 to 185-195. I've had good success so far weighing in at 214 about 2 weeks ago (I *should* be less by now, but don't know because I don't have a scale) - but despite my success of taking part in this "lifestyle change" for 6 weeks now, I just can't imagine being under 200 pounds. I can't remember the last time I was under 200 pounds but it must have been in my early years of high school. I'm used to being the chubby guy who doesn't want to go to a water park because I don't want people to see me with a shirt off.

So, to sum it up, I can't imagine being thin as I haven't been since I was about 14, and I honestly worry about what I will look like as a "smaller guy" because I've never been that guy. All I can say is, though, is I do hope that my diet adds some years on to my life. I was probably headed in the direction of a heart attack eventually.
  • justforet
    justforet Posts: 1
    Options
    I never know if congratulations are appropriate so I will say awesome work instead! I just starting mfp this week and it isn’t my first run at getting healthy. For me it isn’t about the food and exercise, it is about emotions. You are completely justified in feeling the way you do. I started journaling about a year ago and that helped me figure out what the weight was really about for me. I lost 20 pounds over 6 months just from journaling! Well I’m sure there was some decrease in food consumption too but it wasn’t intentional. (just a wonderful side effect). Now that I have checked back into my emotional well being, I want to check back into my nutritional and physical well being too. I know I am so much happier now and I like the me I’m becoming. I can understand why you might be afraid of this new person you have developed into with your new lifestyle. Your worse case scenario is that you find you don’t like some things about yourself. Well the great thing about not liking yourself is that you have the control to change it. Took me a while to realize only I had that power to change me. Journaling helped me and maybe it will help you too. Best of luck to you!
  • BigClaire88
    Options
    I was thinking about this yesterday, I have been big for as long as I can remember and in some ways I'm scared of losing it all since it's all I've ever known. I've only just started on my weight loss journey but it has been playing on my mind.. I even asked my partner if he would still find me attractive if I were slim :blushing:

I'm hoping that losing weight will give me back the confidence I have been living without for so long. I've missed out on so many things I know I would love to do with my friends, family or by myself just because of my lack of confidence.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost that much yet just 27 lbs yet I know what you are talking about. One day I lost 4 lbs and I freaked. I planned to lose 1 lb a week and I wasn't ready for more. I haven't always been overweight either but I really feel this involves our minds and emotions. As I gain confidence in losing I seem to gain greater confidence in more as well. I seem to be more out going. You really need to get your mind ahead of your bodies weight loss. It can help you then. That is what I learned from that time. So mind it is time to lose more.
  • honeyX0
    honeyX0 Posts: 26
    Options
    I thought the same thing... will I still be attractive as a thinner woman? I have no idea what I will even look like when I get to my goal... and I've wondered if my family will treat me differently because this is a drastic change I am making. I'm only down 18 lbs til weigh in tomorrow but I have 52 to go!
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. It's funny isn't it how at the start you just think its a case of getting healthier and how great it will be to fit normal clothes ect. You hear people all the time saying oh I lost all this weight and feel great but no one ever mentions the mental side of all this I have always been fat to the point I was wearing adult size 10at the age of 8 so this is all alien to me especially the way you get treated by people while your out and about not saying I don't love it I just wasn't prepared for it.

Thanks again everyone and keep up the great work