sugar in fruits

Options
hi all

this is my first post on the board but i've been using myfitnesspal app for several months now and its worked wonders! i just wanted to ask if anyone is finding it hard to keep under the 25g daily sugar allowance? I mean i dont eat the obvious refined sugar foods such as chocolate or sweets but i do eat fruits such as strawberries,blueberries and grapes but in moderation just so i can keep within my sugar allowance but it still seems hard to limit myself to 25g (you'll find its not very much)

i love fruit and although i dont go crazy with it, i was hoping for a more realistic goal of say 50g? is that the RDA does anyone know?

Thanks!

Replies

• TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i've increased my sugar, protein, & fiber because mfp gives very low values for those :o)
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruits is complex, processed sugar is where you don't want to go.

Fruit is good for you..........I try to eat 2 servings of fruit a day.
  • hajra123
    hajra123 Posts: 13
    Options
    thanks for the swift replies!

so how much complex sugar (from fruits) am i allowed each day in order to achieve 2lb a week weightloss? would you say 50g? is that RDA? im sure 25g can't be right!
  • katem8600
    katem8600 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i probably do go a little overboard on the fruit but I've swapped it out for other things and I don't eat ANY other sugar so I feel it's a good thing. Fruit is packed with so many good things for you and it's a food that is still in it's natural state, providing other elements that our bodies need to process sugars
  • katem8600
    katem8600 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    honestly I eat over 100 grams of sugar a day (all from my fruit), like I said, probably overboard but I've lost 13 lbs and felt great since I started doing this.. the thing I cut out was wheat so I need to get my carbs from somewhere and I think nothing is better than fruits and veggies!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've asked a similar question before- I was getting frustrated and felt like I couldn't add carrots to my salad or eat an apple for a snack because of the sugar content.

I was told that the 25g ONLY refers to ADDED sugars, not natural sugars. So anything that you add sugar to or eat that has sugar added, that counts. But fruits and veggies don't.

So I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You are snacking on something healthy and if you are losing weight without a problem, then what's the problem? lol... I stopped tracking sugar altogether for this reason, and decided to focus on something more important to me (sodium).