Weight loss...but only in water weight?

Options
In the past calendar week, I've lost 4.7 pounds after weighing in at my dietician's office. What I'm seeing, though, is my fat percentage not going down the past couple of weeks, but up, from 54.3% to 58.1%. Now, prior to the past couple of weeks, my fat percentage went down drastically from 60.5% to 54.3% in ONE calendar week. I thought that was a little fast, and was surprised by the result. I'm not sure if the weight I'm losing is good weight, if there is such a thing...

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    how are you calculating your fat %?
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Try using a pair of calipers... they will give you a more accurate BF% reading than a scale that fluctuates a large percentage based on your hydration status.

If you are new to healthy eating, you will shed quite a bit of water weight the first week or two, then things will even out a bit. Stick with the program and you'll see results. Take measurements, inches will tell you lots as well. Good luck!
  • tzBIGWORM
    tzBIGWORM Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    how are you calculating your fat %?

Dietician uses a Tanita Weight/Body Composition scale at his office, which I weigh on weekly. Whenever I go, I wear the exact same clothes so there won't be a flucuation in weight based on what I'm wearing.