a blue veggie?

Options
can you help me think up a blue veggie? i want to make grilled potatoes for the fourth of july.
red: red pepper
white: regular idaho potatoes, maybe button mushrooms
blue: ? (i know there are blue fingerling potatoes that might work, but i'd love another option if available. there used to be a purplish cauliflower at our grocer but i haven't seen it for a while)

also making a caprese salad (red tomatoes, white mozzarella and blue balsamic vinegar drizzling) and a blueberry, strawberry and banana 'platter flag' with a yogurt dipping sauce.

can you think of any other red, white and blue food combinations?

Replies

• MissVV
    MissVV Posts: 19
    Options
    Aubergine! (dark purpley blue...) think it's teh closest you'll get. Good luck!
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK we have a new blue potato? If not purple sprouting broccoli looks kind of blue.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Isn't there blue corn?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    eggplant is a dark purple... best that I can think of.
  • babynurse123
    babynurse123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you are asking what you might find in your local market I would have to say eggplant for sure and on occasion yo might run across purple pod beans, there are blue colored carrots but not very common in the market place but other than that I am at a loss as to what else might be naturally blue. As far as what you can dye again I have no experience with that and it would be total expeimentation as to what would take a blue dye. I guess it is a matter or trying a few samples of veggies and see what turns the blue you want. You can alway turn carnations blue by placing stems in blue dyed water and having the petals take on a blue color.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Just use blue food colouring. Makes life simple.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    my mother in law always makes a yummy cake... angel food cake with cool whip, strawberries and blueberries on top. yumm! :)
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    Just use blue food colouring. Makes life simple.

that's what I was going to say :)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i bet onions would soak up dye well and are great on the grill, red onions are almost blueish?
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The color blue doesn't really appear in nature too often. Just violet shades.. either go with purple, or stand some celery up in water with blue food coloring for a day or two:) It will turn blue.
  • chadam1015
    chadam1015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Eggplant
    Figs
    Juneberries
    Plums
    Prunes
    Purple grapes
    Raisins

Maybe you can work one of these in! Good luck! Sounds fun.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    google says :

Black currants
    Black salsify
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Dried plums
    Eggplant
    Elderberries
    Grapes
    Plums
    Pomegranates
    Prunes
    Purple Belgian endive
    Purple Potatoes
    Purple asparagus
    Purple cabbage
    Purple carrots
    Purple figs
    Purple grapes
    Purple peppers
    Raisins
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Flowering kale / purple cabbage - either may be close ( almost a navy) ... and yes there is blue corn but hard to find right now. Good luck :-)
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Isn't there blue corn?

Yeah there's blue corn, but there is no nutritional value in corn.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    finding purple asparagus would make my day! that would be a perfect compliment to peppers and potatoes. i wonder where i can find it...
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah there's blue corn, but there is no nutritional value in corn.
    [/quote]

no nutritional value??? hmmmm

Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Corns

The high amount of fiber present in corn helps lower cholesterol levels and also reduces the risk of colon cancer.
    Corn, if consumed in moderate quantities, has been seen to be beneficial for those suffering from diabetes.
    Being rich in folate, corn helps the generation of new cells, especially important before and during pregnancy.
    Those suffering from anemia have shown positive effects after consuming corns.
    The Pantothenic acid present in corns helps with the physiological functions of the body.
    Owing to the presence of thiamin, corns have been said to help in the metabolism of carbohydrates.
    Corn has been found to be helpful in treating kidney problems, including renal dysfunction.
    Regular consumption of corn, in moderate quantities, has been associated with better cardiovascular health.
    The beta-cryptoxanthin in corn makes it good for the health of the lungs and may even help prevent lung cancer.
    The insoluble fiber in corn makes it good for those suffering from common digestive ailments, like constipation and hemorrhoids.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Asparagus would be cool! But if you can't find it, look for purple cabbage, I had some in my lunch today (left over fried rice from last night) and it looked kind of blue when it's cooked.