Do you need an activity tracker to lose weight?

Options
I was wondering if activity trackers really help with losing weight? Are they just for fun or an important tool? I'm a fairly active woman that needs (wants) to lose around 30lbs.

Replies

• Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have one but you don't need it. I use it because I find it interesting but I still lost weight before I got it
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Activity trackers are for fun and you don't need one to lose weight. A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

Right, but do they help with a more accurate CICO?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I find mine to be very helpful, especially since it's synched to MFP and automatically updates the amount of calories I can consume in any given day based on my activity level. :)

I lost 75 lbs in under a year.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    sadiepie05 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Activity trackers are for fun and you don't need one to lose weight. A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

Right, but do they help with a more accurate CICO?

Some have found trackers to be inaccurate to a degree. Others have found them to be spot on.
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find mine to be very helpful, especially since it's synched to MFP and automatically updates the amount of calories I can consume in any given day based on my activity level. :)

I lost 75 lbs in under a year.

That's awesome!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It isn't necessary, but it helps me be a little more active and understand how many calories I'm burning/how many I can eat (which is the most important thing to losing weight).

Samsies. I have a Fitbit One and I know I wouldn't be as active without it. I initially bought a Fitbit to help me figure out my TDEE so I had a better idea of how many calories I should eat to lose.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, you absolutely do not *need* one to lose weight. Can they be handy and fun and motivating? Yes. But absolutely necessary? No. I, and thousands of others, lost weight before having one. I like my Fitbit now but just see it as helpful, not a necessity.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    No, they are not necessary. I enjoy the step counter in my phone though because it motivated me.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't need to keep a record, but I enjoy having a record. I use the Health app that comes with the iPhone.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No they are completely unecessary. IF you like "techy" gadgets you might like to get one and see what it can do for you in terms of tracking many areas of health like sleep, calories in and out, exercise activities, heart rate, how many steps you take in a day, etc.. it captures data.. who does not like data capture from wearing a watch?

I do not find the tracker helps with weight loss.. the app does allow me to see calories in and out, but what I put into the tracker is what helps with weight loss not the tracker itself. Do you need a tracker to run 3 miles.. def not.

Some trackers like my Forerunner does have the the added benefit to be an all around activities tracker and running tracker all in one.

If it feels too over the top for your lifestyle and habits and , def do not get one.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    sadiepie05 wrote: »
    Do you need an activity tracker to lose weight?

No.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm down 43 pounds without one. The goals MFP have set up and using a food scale keep me very accurate.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 80# and I've never spent a penny on anything to lose weight :) if it will motivate you, great!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You don't need an activity tracker to lose weight. However i wouldn't be without mine. It motivates me, syncs with mfp and works out the correct calories for me, and gives me a much more accurate TDEE than any of the calculators I've used...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Not needed at all. I like having my fitbit though for the challenges
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    They're not necessary but can be fun to have. I have the much less popular Runtastic Orbit, which I got in April for $43. Works for me since its waterproof, which the Fitbit isn't. But the community for it is much smaller, and it lacks all the fun challenges Fitbit users get.

It also doubles as a watch and catches my phone's texts/calls at work, which is useful since I can't keep my phone on me when working.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't need one.

I really like having my apple watch though which tracks my activity, heart rate etc. Partly because I'm a gadget nerd, but I do find it motivating to see more calories to eat when I'm more active. I really like not having to enter exercise separately and stop to think about whether the activity I've just done is already counted in my daily activity or not.
    I find the numbers it calculates are pretty accurate for me.