Calories

Options
How do i count the calories on steak do i do it on the weight raw or cooked , a raw steak i just cooked was 143g but when cooked weighed 85g . I know it might be a stupid question but its a big difference in cals

Replies

• Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is the info you are looking at listing it as cooked or raw? I generally figure it by cooked weight for proteins, because that is how it's going into my body. Something like oatmeal I'll do by dry weight, since that is how it is intended to be listed by manufacturer.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    You can log it either way, just make sure you find steak cooked or raw in the database.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The information on your nutrition label is usually for the raw weight (unless the label specifies otherwise). If you need/want to weigh it after cooking, that's fine. Just be sure you're choosing an accurate and appropriate entry from the database that specifies it's for the cooked weight (ie you wouldn't use a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc)
  • shellebellesr319
    shellebellesr319 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It just says cals per 100g , i usually do weigh cereal and other thing before cookin but stuck on this because the calorie difference is huge . Thanks for replying
  • shellebellesr319
    Options
    The information on your nutrition label is usually for the raw weight (unless the label specifies otherwise). If you need/want to weigh it after cooking, that's fine. Just be sure you're choosing an accurate and appropriate entry from the database that specifies it's for the cooked weight (ie you wouldn't use a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc)

The cals of the steak raw was 283 but the cals of the the cooked steak went down to 168 so im confused , its my first time askin a question so i might *kitten* it up lol
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

The cals of the steak raw was 283 but the cals of the the cooked steak went down to 168 so im confused , its my first time askin a question so i might *kitten* it up lol

Weigh raw unless an entry is specifically marked as cooked. USDA entries are the most accurate. The cut matters a lot. A ribeye is very high in calories, for instance, compared to leaner cuts.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

The difference in weight is mostly contributed to the loss of water during cooking, which would not change the calorie count. Logging raw is the best way to go.
  • shellebellesr319
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone