My new diet must be working to lower blood suger.

Options
tommytorpedo
tommytorpedo Posts: 53 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I just had to chew up five life savers to save myself from the low blood sugar monster. It was running in the 170 + range a couple weeks ago. Now it's below 100 in the morning.

Replies

• tommytorpedo
    Options
    Note to self. Try to not eat before going to bed. Graham crackers too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Glad it's working for you. :)

I wouldn't worry about low BG readings unless you are a T1D who injects insulin. It is pretty unusual for someone without T1D to get a low enough BG to cause problems (usually below 70). The 80's, 90's and 100's are very good BG readings - somewhere you want to be.

I have insulin resistance and TRY to keep my fasting BG at 100 or lower, sometimes difficult because I have dawn phenomenom and my FBG is my highest BG reading for the day.

• tommytorpedo
    Options
    I've had dawn phenomenom too for over ten years. The doctors either don't know about it, don't get it, or can't do anything about it. Thank you for telling me and I would appreciate any advice you can give. I take Metformin, glipizide and victoza. I diet and exercise religiously. Thank you
  • tommytorpedo
    Options
    Coffee seems to affect my readings. My morning numbers were dropping recently since I've been on this diet. I was getting 100 and below. but; They've been up the last couple of mornings. Could it be because I had a black coffee first?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Are you testing your blood sugar yourself? Diabetic?
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You might need to talk to your doctor about adjusting your meds. I've had that happen before due to the medications that I was on, it's a scary feeling. Congratulations on doing such a good job with your diet.
  • tommytorpedo
    Options
    yes, I check myself.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Glad it's working for you. :)

I wouldn't worry about low BG readings unless you are a T1D who injects insulin. It is pretty unusual for someone without T1D to get a low enough BG to cause problems (usually below 70). The 80's, 90's and 100's are very good BG readings - somewhere you want to be.

I have insulin resistance and TRY to keep my fasting BG at 100 or lower, sometimes difficult because I have dawn phenomenom and my FBG is my highest BG reading for the day.

Low BG is VERY common in any diabetic who takes any kind of medication to lower blood sugars, not just insulin. Any diabetic on a new diet and/or exercise program should be in touch with a doctor who can adjust meds as needed. Your glucose will drop if you are actively losing weight. That's a great thing!! But meds will need to be adjusted to prevent bottoming out.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    At what point do you talk to your Dr? My morning # ranges from 99 to 112. I would like to get off Metformin but what am I looking for (number wise) to talk to my Dr about it?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Coffee seems to affect my readings. My morning numbers were dropping recently since I've been on this diet. I was getting 100 and below. but; They've been up the last couple of mornings. Could it be because I had a black coffee first?

Caffeine often raises BG levels for diabetics. I don't 100% know the mechanism, but caffeine might stimulate the sympathetic nervous system ("fight or flight" system), which then stimulates glucagon and epinephrine production, which may then increase BG levels.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    At what point do you talk to your Dr? My morning # ranges from 99 to 112. I would like to get off Metformin but what am I looking for (number wise) to talk to my Dr about it?

It depends on the patient. Give your doctor a call (leave a message whatever) and just ask. Doc can tell you what they'd be comfortable with, but don't be surprised if they want a HgbA1c before they cut you lose entirely :smiley:

(And for a good A1c you need consistent readings for about 6 weeks.)
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks @adoette. I will give him a call on Monday.