Breakfast ideas?

Options
I've never been a big breakfast eater but I know that has to change! Lately I'm doing good to grab a pack of crackers and eat them in the car on the way to work. Any suggestions for a quick and healthy breakfast (portability is a plus!)?

Replies

• Indy_mom
    Indy_mom Posts: 15
    Options
    This past week I picked up some Thomas' 100% whole wheat english muffins. I pop them in the toaster, put a little bit of pb on it and eat it on the way to work. It's pretty good and keeps me full for a while.
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are a good source of protein! Also whole grain muffins too!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is always yummy... And portable. Fills you up, doesn't let you down. Haha. Umm... Or maybe even like an apple with it. Or a banana. Or... A peach?
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Buy some nuts.. almonds.. walnuts.. whichever you can eat. They are good protein and a few go a long way. A little bit of nuts and a banana count as breakfast if you just don't like to eat in the morning. Crackers are not the best thing, as they are not really nutrient dense, but it's better than nothing.

If you really hate to eat in the morning, drink. Try a cup of yogurt and a cup of orange juice and a half a banana. Blend em up and pour them into a bottle to carry with you.
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth, and dont be put off by the cereal coz it tastes frikin amazing!!
    1/2 cup all-bran
    1/2 cup of natural muesli
    1 heaped Tsp of choccy protein powder (I use Balance: divine chocolate)
    1/2 cup of trim milk

I always want more!!
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    This past week I picked up some Thomas' 100% whole wheat english muffins. I pop them in the toaster, put a little bit of pb on it and eat it on the way to work. It's pretty good and keeps me full for a while.

This is exactly what I do. I recently switched to all natural pb so no sugar!! It's delicious.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I usually have special k protein plus cereal, with some vanilla almond milk and a piece of fruit, or fruit added to the cereal. Or, I have eggs and turkey bacon. An omelette literally takes like 2 minutes to whip up. You can do 1 egg with some egg whites. Hard boiled eggs are nice and portable. I get Jennie-o uncured turkey bacon and precook it in the oven, then warm it in the microwave for a few seconds when I ready to eat it or just chop it up in my omelette.
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Nature valley granola bars are easy. Also Luna bars
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Try Emerald's Breakfast On-The-Go bags. They're mainly nuts. The smore's bag is my favorite! It has graham crackers, marshmallows, cocoa roasted almonds, honey peanuts, shaved coconut, and chocolate pieces for around 250 calories. It's a great way to ease yourself into eating breakfast, if you're not used to eating much in the morning. Also, they're really portable. Just a plastic bag is all. :P
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i love half a granny smith apple with 2tbls of peanut butter. i throw it in a plastic container and can bring it with me if i need to eat breakfast when i get to work or if i go to my boyfriends house...

kashi go lean crunch cereal with low fat milk.

fiber granola bars.

dannon light and fit yogurt with a fruit such as grapes, strawberries, etc.

english muffin (Whole wheat) with a very thin slice of cheese, 3 pieces lunch meat.

whole wheat bagel and light cream cheese.

a serving of almonds is 24 nuts.
  • itsirk1978
    itsirk1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt!!! Lots of protein (more than an egg) and pretty good calorie wise (about 140-160 depending on the flavor) I also sometimes Take total Omega 3 Honey and Almond cereal and add some in to the yogurt to add a crunch. If you don't like the texture (it is thicker than regular yogurt) the cereal helps.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I do. I recently switched to all natural pb so no sugar!! It's delicious.

I do this too but use honey instead ;)
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    or you can grab 1/2 cup of grapes and take some string cheese along with you and maybe a hard boiled egg.

or fruit in yogurt. I do that alot, blueberries or strawberries or banana or mandarin oranges, etc. yum
  • queenpixie
    queenpixie Posts: 16
    Options
    The easiest thing that I have found for breakfast is a fruit smoothie. Here is my favorite recipe:

1 large banana
    Frozen Anti-Oxidant fruit mix
    Orange Juice NOT from concentrate
    Organic natural ( which means not flavored) Yogurt

Blend these all together, dump into your travel mug and out the door you go! It takes a total of 5 min to make and it delicious! This will also hold you up.

Another one I like to do is a banana-peanut butter-Chocolate Almond milk smoothie. The Peanut butter will add protein which will help keep you fuller for longer. I would get Organic Just Peanuts Peanut butter, however be aware of things when they say " no sugar" Take a look at the label, because there is hidden sugar all over the place. Cane Juice is one of them that hides in places, so look out for that one.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
    :happy:
  • pixxistiks
    pixxistiks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quakers makes a fantastic Weight control oatmeal,I lost more and stayed fuller on it than on the Special K diet, and everyone in my company would salavate when I microwaved it. I's even edible without milk, a first for most instant oatmeals. The nutritional information can be found here http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/weight-control/weight-control-variety-pack.aspx th
  • descooley
    descooley Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Quakers makes a fantastic Weight control oatmeal,I lost more and stayed fuller on it than on the Special K diet, and everyone in my company would salavate when I microwaved it. I's even edible without milk, a first for most instant oatmeals. The nutritional information can be found here http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oatmeal/weight-control/weight-control-variety-pack.aspx th

So true! The maple & brown sugar one makes my whole hall @ work smell like pancakes.
  • jea1668
    jea1668 Posts: 32
    Options
    Im not a big breakfast person, but i do love chobani non-fat greek yogurt FLAVORED! bout 140cals but 15g protein (yay! total protein lover :D!) and pair it with 1/4 cup vanilla almond granola (another 5g protein! equals out to about 240 cals but a whopping 15g protein :) i dont eat meat all that much so for me thats a lot of protein in one go :)!

also, I like hardboiled eggs as well because you can make a bunch at one time and put rest into separate containers or sandwich bags with half english muffin or something like that for quick on the run grab :) I have been piling together a little breakfast list, if i get bored I stop eating breakfast and boy is it hard to restart :) good to always have a few different things on hand so you dont get bored! i keep oatmeal packets, chobani yogurt, bagels (1/2 one with a cooked egg is great:)), protein shake/protein fruit smoothies etc are on my list as well :)!
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The first time I got up early to make myself an egg on a weekday, I thought it was such a hardship, but you get used to it. Then, it takes less time, and feels easier. Plus, two eggs with one of the yolks removed has about 20 grams of protein and about 130 calories. When you add a piece of whole wheat bread (100-150 calories, and fiber), you have a perfectly balanced and satisfying breakfast. Your carbs and protein balance to provide sustainable energy.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started baking scrambled eggs in a muffin pan so I have cooked eggs ready to grab and go during the week. I beat 12 eggs with whatever ingredients I want and then evenly divide the mixture in each muffin cup. You could do something similar and eat it with a whole wheat English muffin or toast for an easy breakfast. If you google "eggs in muffin tin" you'll find lots of recipes online.