Marathon Training and 1600 Calories...

Options
It's that time again, ramping up my miles for marathon training which is 18 weeks. MFP is set at 1600 calories, all efforts are made to not eat calories back as I gain weight easily due to PCOS. (Running is the only exercise that helped maintained a 65 lb loss). Sometimes I feel this calorie limit is low as a 10 mile run easily burns 1,000 calories, not to mention the hours of cross training that goes into the marathon season. Any other distance runners want to chime in?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're grossing 1600 calories and eating no exercise? I'm not a marathon runner nor do I have PCOS but that's a worryingly low amount for your activity level. Are you losing weight currently?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP so basically your just eating 600 calories??

Good luck on the marathon. :/
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine even considering a Marathon training program on 1600 gross calories. If you are going to train for a marathon, in my opinion, you MUST eat back calories.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hmm, how do you feel on 1600 net average? Are your runs hard or compromised? Do you feel fueled? At 30mpw, I keep it about 1500 net. And I'm not losing. I need to lose10 to hit my racing weight.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hmm, how do you feel on 1600 net average? Are your runs hard or compromised? Do you feel fueled? At 30mpw, I keep it about 1500 net. And I'm not losing. I need to lose10 to hit my racing weight.

She's not netting, she doesn't eat back exercise calories.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I would, at least, try to eat 1200 calories/day.

PCOS women, potentially, have a lower BMR, but nothing close to only needing 600 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP so basically your just eating 600 calories??

Good luck on the marathon. :/

This entirely.

How do you feel running 10 miles on 1600 cals OP?