Low Carb diet making me cranky... but I need to stay strong for my hip! Advice?

Options
I'm on Atkins-- day 11 of the Induction Phase and MAN. I can barely do a thing. I was feeling ok for a couple of days this week and I'm having a serious crash.
This is the first time during the diet that I'm having massive craves.
I'll have waves of energy that lasts for about 10 minutes and then I'll be a lump on a log for hours on end..
I'm doing Atkins because I am recovering from a hip operation and cannot exercise. I want to lose as much weight as possible (going as low as possible on the BMI. I am 23.4 and want to get to 19.) and I will be going through all the Atkins steps.
I need to have as little weight as possible for my severely damaged hip.

I'm afraid that at the end of the week I won't have had as much weight as desired and have to stay on the Induction Phase for another two weeks.. Agh..

Replies

• hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds! Zero carbs..
  • sc487
    sc487 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Not sure much about Atkins, but I'm doing the e-meals low carb plan with my wife and thoroughly enjoying it, lots of steak, chicken, and bacon and still losing weight.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    How much sodium are you eating? Induction causes you to lose a lot of sodium.

Check out the Low Carber Daily Forum (a group on MFP). They have a great launchpad for info.
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. Low carb can help you sustain that deficit, but it doesn't do anything on its own. It seems like you'll be more successful eating a more moderate macro split.

Recovering from surgery may also be not the time to diet - your body needs nutrients and calories to heal. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

I agree with this. You could be prolonging your recovery period by dieting when your body needs nutrients and energy. If your body is going through such extreme energy changes, it is telling that this isn't working well for its needs. I did Atkins many years ago and I don't recall anything like what you are describing.

You've also said you are already at a healthy weight. You really need to talk to your doctor about your diet.
  • budonyan
    budonyan Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the medical advice but yes I have talked to my doctor and he's fine with it. I am actually eating more vegetables and protein than ever before which has helped me in my healing process. I am also taking vitamins. I eat around 1600 calories a day which is what is recommended. Not to sound rude but I don't care if my current weight is considered "healthy"-- the more I lose the better my physical therapy has been. I have had less pain than I ever had before so please don't try to discourage me. A 19 BMI is also a healthy weight-- I will never be able to run or do a high impact work out so I would like to have as little weight as possible so I can do long walks without pain.
    I have lost 8 pounds now and using crutches and putting weight on my hip is immensely easier.

Also after googling it sounds like this is called "The Atkins Flu" and is very normal.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If your doctor believes this is what you should do, I won't argue it. If you need to get control of your emotions without modifying your diet or anything like that, may I suggest meditation. Morning and night. There are many guided meditations on youtube that can help you.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    budonyan wrote: »
    Thanks for the medical advice but yes I have talked to my doctor and he's fine with it. I am actually eating more vegetables and protein than ever before which has helped me in my healing process. I am also taking vitamins. I eat around 1600 calories a day which is what is recommended. Not to sound rude but I don't care if my current weight is considered "healthy"-- the more I lose the better my physical therapy has been. I have had less pain than I ever had before so please don't try to discourage me. A 19 BMI is also a healthy weight-- I will never be able to run or do a high impact work out so I would like to be as little weight as possible so I can do long walks without pain.
    I have lost 8 pounds now and using crutches and putting weight on my hip is immensely easier.

Not a single person has tried to discourage you, nor have they offered medical advice.
  • budonyan
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Thanks for the medical advice but yes I have talked to my doctor and he's fine with it. I am actually eating more vegetables and protein than ever before which has helped me in my healing process. I am also taking vitamins. I eat around 1600 calories a day which is what is recommended. Not to sound rude but I don't care if my current weight is considered "healthy"-- the more I lose the better my physical therapy has been. I have had less pain than I ever had before so please don't try to discourage me. A 19 BMI is also a healthy weight-- I will never be able to run or do a high impact work out so I would like to be as little weight as possible so I can do long walks without pain.

Not a single person has tried to discourage you, nor have they offered medical advice.
    I'm sorry but someone said I could be prolonging my healing process and that Atkins could be probably hurting me and that my weight was also considered normal.
    It was just a little off putting since I have done my research and talked to my doctor- I don't want people to think this is a vanity thing. Saying I'm already healthy is pretty discouraging because it's discounting my goals.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I'm sorry but someone said I could be prolonging my healing process and that Atkins could be probably hurting me and that my weight was also considered normal.
    It was just a little off putting since I have done my research and talked to my doctor- I don't want people to think this is a vanity thing. Saying I'm already healthy is pretty discouraging because it's discounting my goals.

Then I suggest talking to your doctor instead of coming here for advice and people helping you and you don't like the advice.
  • budonyan
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Geez I'm really sorry everyone..
    I really didn't mean to come off as rude or anything

I'm sorry for wasting your time I'll stick to my doctor, family and just the app..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have access to therapy for emotional issues? If you have the time and money, that could help, too.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd be in prison if I went low carb.
    I'd keep high protein and high fat snacks around as much as possible. Low carb can cause keto/atkins flu which basically turns me into a raging maniac who wants to kill and eat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Geez I'm really sorry everyone..
    I really didn't mean to come off as rude or anything

I'm sorry for wasting your time I'll stick to my doctor, family and just the app..

OP, let this roll off the back.. You are being seen by a doctor of course for the hip recovery and have asked him about the diet and all is in check..

People are not trying to be snarkie although it may seem that way. Sometimes you are going to get responses that just do not equate to exactualy what you wish or think you should be getting from strangers posting information, opinions, and the like..

As for the Atkins thing, keep at it until you have by passed all the carb flu stuff if you are still having any of that and just stick to it. If and when you deem the diet is not working or providing results you expect to acheive your goals, then just change the diet back to what is comfortable to you for weight loss.

You will not loose any more weight, or any more quicker on atkins.. You will loose a boat load of weight that is water the first week or two and what everyone is saying in a round about way, this diet is not necessary and no need to make yourself suffer side affects that are not necessary as you recover from surgery.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Also, do you have access to therapy for emotional issues? If you have the time and money, that could help, too.

comment unwarranted and unnecessary. :(
  • budonyan
    Options
    Well I'm feeling great now. I decided to stay. I've lost 10 pounds now and have gone down two sizes. Atkins is working for me! I'm over the Atkins flu and I can get around more easily. My mother in law who is a nurse said it's probably helped reduce inflammation alongside with my medications. I've been off my harsh pain meds for days (still taking anti inflammatories tho) Now I feel better than ever!!
    Glad I followed through. This is my 3rd surgery on my hip and the first time I've felt so good during post op
  • ringrosie
    ringrosie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Glad u r feeling better. Low carb should generally help u feel more energetic. Someone suggested sodium levels...if u feel low energy in the future, that's the likely culprit.