Binged :(

Options
Im freaking out .. I binged today and ate a whole cheesy crust pizza and a pack of cookies :( I've been in a 500 calorie deficit for the last 5 days.... Will I gain weight tomorrow ?

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight just from one day a binging. However, you might see a spike in a day or 2 of water weight due to the increase in sodium. Don't panic, it will work itself out in a few days.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Unless you manage to go for a big BM, you'll probably see an increase on the scale tomorrow, and you'll likely feel very bloated for a couple days, but so long as the binging doesn't become a habit you shouldn't gain anything substantial. Just make sure to eat lots of good things, exercise, and get plenty of water!
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate terribly and my weight check was today, which was a total fail.
    But whatever, you get back on the wagon. One or two bad days here or there isn't going to severely impact you, so long as it doesn't become the norm. Don't beat yourself up over it.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out over it and 500 calories is not considered a binge. Yes tomorrow you may gain a little weight but it's temporary. Probably water weight due to the salt in the pizza.
    Tomorrow just restart you'll be fine
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I had a huge cheat day yesterday. I'm maintaining my weight at 112.5 pounds. Yesterday there was a celebration at work, so I knew not to bring much in the way of food. I brought a protein bar. At the party I had chocolate chip cake, brownie squares, black & white cake, two mini apple turnovers, a piece of apple strudel, and a few small slices of ice cream cake. There was also a surprise party for my cousin at a BBQ place last night where I had a piece of lean brisket, some bites of a rib and a hot link, a few pieces of pulled pork and chicken breast with BBQ sauce, two pieces of cornbread with ancho honey butter, a medium side of baked beans with burnt ends, a medium side of chili, a small side of cucumber salad, black eyed pea salad, mashed bourbon sweet potatoes, and for dessert I ate half of my mason jar blackout cake and a few bites of my cowboy brownie. I ate so much food that my stomach swelled up immensely. I couldn't stand up straight but I knew I planned for the day. I woke up weighing 116.7 pounds and I was already down to 114.1 by 4 pm. So you will probably see a scale increase, but it's mostly water weight and may take a few days to go down. I fully expect to be in the 112 range again within the next two days.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, OP, you will freak out if the scale is 500grams higher tomorrow?

Have you spoken to anyone professional about your issues surrounding food and your weight yet?
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Have you spoken to anyone professional about your issues surrounding food and your weight yet?

I'm sorry but implying that I have an eating disorder when I am asking questions that are asked daily on this community is just plain rude.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »

I'm sorry but implying that I have an eating disorder when I am asking questions that are asked daily on this community is just plain rude.

Perhaps it's the use of the word "binged"? Which, on a dieting site, is used often by folks with disordered eating...
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Im freaking out .. I binged today and ate a whole cheesy crust pizza and a pack of cookies :( I've been in a 500 calorie deficit for the last 5 days.... Will I gain weight tomorrow ?

Dont worry, I had a KFC, peri peri chicken and rice, 4 slices of toast a bowl of cornflakes and 2 hot cross buns plus 2 milkshakes today.

It's all good, you just let it go and move on

I agree, msskarne's remark was not encouraging and a bit rude, but I think rob's advise was the best:
    " Don't worry, it's all good, you just let it go and move on" . Iam writing that one down. Thanks rob..
    Yes, you will probably gain. Wheather its extra water weight or just plain weight from the extra food you ate. If you get right back on your program it will come off. Don't weigh for a day or two if it's going to freak you out. That's what I usually do after I've had a bad day with my food. Give your body a chance to readjust itself. Just don't let the quilt of it to throw you off your goals completely.
    To quote rob again. LET IT GO AND MOVE ON. Good Luck.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Not just sodium, the extra carbs will cause some water retention too. Nothing to worry about, OP - water weight is temporary - but if you think a high scale number will discourage you and you can't handle it, why not skip weighing this time? If you go back to eating at a deficit, the extra water should go again in a few days.

I know this might seem like "head in the sand", but if you KNOW there's going to be a water weight gain, and you KNOW you're feeling a bit fragile and it could discourage you, I see no reason not to reschedule your weigh in to keep your head in the right place.

I'm thinking of moving my weighing day from Monday to Friday, as I eat more nonsense at the weekend and find the fluctuations distressing. I reckon I'll get a steadier trend by weighing on a Friday as I'm on a bette routine during the week. It's all headology.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I binged. And yeah, I'm using the word correctly. I ate 1,000 calories in about 5 minutes last night. I felt out of control and like I couldn't stop and ate past the point of my stomach hurting.

It's not the first time, but it was the first time in awhile. At other times, I may say I binged but really just overate. That happens a bit more often than the true binges.

A whole pizza and an entire pack of cookies, if consumed in one sitting, in my opinion, would qualify as a binge vs. overeating.

Forget the whole ED aspect, though. That's not the point of my post. My point is that it sucks. I've also been following a 500 cal deficit. I know my 1,000 calories won't wipe out all of that or cause me to gain fat, but it bothers me that it happened at all when it was a behavior that I had largely gotten under control. I would wager, just on a hunch between stepping the exercise back up the last few days + a big whoosh last week + the carb influx, that I will have a gain when I get on the scale on Tuesday. I'm so close to my next weight goal, a goal I never thought I would reach, and yeah, I completely get how you feel.

Just keep it in perspective. You may have undone your deficit, but in the long run, it's just a drop in the bucket. Think about why it happened and come up with some ideas for next time.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options

Perhaps it's the use of the word "binged"? Which, on a dieting site, is used often by folks with disordered eating...

This OP has had threads before where they were freaking out like crazy because they gained 500grams while sick (OP is a healthy weight, BTW), admitted to being afraid of the scale going up at all (including normal fluctuations), and mentioned several behaviours that were concerning and throwing up red flags.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Agree you will retain water from sodium and carb content. Skip this week's weigh in and don't stress about 1 bad day
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

This OP has had threads before where they were freaking out like crazy because they gained 500grams while sick (OP is a healthy weight, BTW), admitted to being afraid of the scale going up at all (including normal fluctuations), and mentioned several behaviours that were concerning and throwing up red flags.

I remember OP and those threads. OP, you have definitely made statements that are concerning. That's why PP made the comment she did.

I'd be concerned that you are either restricting too much, causing you to binge, or you have other issues that it might be helpful to discuss with a therapist. Also, am I misremembering, or hadn't you decided to recomp instead of losing more weight since you're already at a healthy weight? If so, you shouldn't be eating at a 500/day deficit.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I had a huge cheat day yesterday. I'm maintaining my weight at 112.5 pounds. Yesterday there was a celebration at work, so I knew not to bring much in the way of food. I brought a protein bar. At the party I had chocolate chip cake, brownie squares, black & white cake, two mini apple turnovers, a piece of apple strudel, and a few small slices of ice cream cake. There was also a surprise party for my cousin at a BBQ place last night where I had a piece of lean brisket, some bites of a rib and a hot link, a few pieces of pulled pork and chicken breast with BBQ sauce, two pieces of cornbread with ancho honey butter, a medium side of baked beans with burnt ends, a medium side of chili, a small side of cucumber salad, black eyed pea salad, mashed bourbon sweet potatoes, and for dessert I ate half of my mason jar blackout cake and a few bites of my cowboy brownie. I ate so much food that my stomach swelled up immensely. I couldn't stand up straight but I knew I planned for the day. I woke up weighing 116.7 pounds and I was already down to 114.1 by 4 pm. So you will probably see a scale increase, but it's mostly water weight and may take a few days to go down. I fully expect to be in the 112 range again within the next two days.

8nzZ76r.gif
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Some of us have read the other threads you started. At your current BMI (as you reported on those threads) "freaking out" seems like pretty concerning overreaction.