Gaining without Milk...Help!

Options
Hello all-
I am under 100 lbs due to some stomach issues I was having but haven't been able to gain my weight back. I know that is still under weight for me since I'm 25 and 5"3 but it's a start for me. My biggest issue is I seem to have an intolerance to milk and a lot of the best things to eat/drink contain milk. (including Ensure) What are some other things that I could eat to help gain weight without bothering my stomach??

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can eat anything to gain weight, just eat more calories than you burn.

Things like nuts and nut butters, avocado, beans, grains, but there's nothing wrong with some barbecued ribs or french fries either!
  • mstardarsauce
    mstardarsauce Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    juice, drink juice :smile: 5-8 smoothies per day :blush: or if you want to be unhealthy, eat pastry and chocolate
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Soy, almond and coconut milk can be used as an alternative. Fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and pulses, There are plenty of options out there.

You need to time your diet. Take small meals after every 4 hours and regular workout.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Lots of food don't contain milk...non processed foods for example. I'd argue the best foods don't contain milk.

If you want shake type foods: Vega is vegan.
    If you like Indian, there are countless vegan pre-made curries that just need reheating. We can get them countless places around here...but it does depend where you live.
    A good thai curry with coconut milk will be calorically dense
    Peanut butter and other nut butters (FTR, I cannot stand peanut butter by itself) but will make it into a curry
    Higher fat meats: braised pork belly, rib steak,

As an aside, my side of the family has Cow Milk Protein Intolerance (actually causes blistering among other things)
  • sroyster09
    sroyster09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I have lots to research at the store now! :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    snickers
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Lactose free ice cream and hot peanut butter sundae is my go to snack...I'm in maintenance and I save calories for this. I too have a sensitivity to milk products: almond milk/dark chocolate almond milk = delicious. I wouldn't personally recommend cashew milk: the after-taste is terrible.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Literally any food will help you gain weight if you eat enough of it. Milk is a very minor restriction!
  • kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I read your post but didn't look at all the comments, which I'm sure there is great advice. I would like to help give my advice because I am allergic to milk, wheat and peanuts and because you decided to post this, means you are concerned about your diet without dairy products and I felt the same after i decided to stay away from dairy, wheat and peanuts which is in everything!

So I thought I would be screwd trying to stay away from wheat and milk especially. But it turns out that there is many alternatives than I would have thought. So I replaced my daily Greek yogurt with plane goats milk yogurt, and you can add fruit or granola to add flavor (I have not found flavored goats yogurt yet). I also found a goats milk cheese spread that is pretty good that I can spread on my ham or turkey sandwiches. If I go to jamba juice or get a smoothie somewhere, I always ask for soy milk but I do try and stay away from soy for health reasons.
    But to cut to the chase... goats milk to replace cows milk.
    Goats milk works great for me and I recommend to all who are dairy free. (dairy is considered a puss) there are more health problems with dairy than there are with health benefits, so stay strong on keeping away and live healthy!!
  • druasmith
    druasmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For some reason refried beans make me put on weight fast, even if I get the vegetarian kind or make them myself. They might work the same for you. And they're not junk. They've got protein and fiber and iron and all that good stuff. I like to mix them with salsa to make a bean dip to scoop up with tortilla chips. And whenever I do I feel my pants get tighter across the back - which is the opposite of my goals but might be just the ticket for you.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    If its the casein/protein in cows milk that you react to you could well find relief using goat dairy. More people are casein intolerant that lactose. (there are 4 types of casein, cow is principally type 1, goat is principally type 2, 3 and 4 are also present but are less likely to be a problems) I realise this would still leave prepared milk supplements out of your food package but it does keep other options open. There are many goat and sheep cheeses available.

I don't consider soy, oat, rice or almond milk a good substitute for dairy milk because they do not supply the iodine and minerals dairy milk does. Our bodies need 150 microns of iodine a day to function well. 100 ml of dairy milk contains 30 microns, 100 grams of yogurt has double that which could put one well on the way, its also in green veg, fish and eggs.

Avocados are very nutritious. These could make a good addition to your diet.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    druasmith wrote: »
    For some reason refried beans make me put on weight fast, even if I get the vegetarian kind or make them myself. They might work the same for you. And they're not junk. They've got protein and fiber and iron and all that good stuff. I like to mix them with salsa to make a bean dip to scoop up with tortilla chips. And whenever I do I feel my pants get tighter across the back - which is the opposite of my goals but might be just the ticket for you.

A caloric surplus makes you gain weight, not a specific food. What you are describing sounds like bloating or water retention.