Self-Contol Help

Options
Every time I go over to my mom's they have all this food that I should really stay away from, but because it's there I'll want it. How do you stop yourself from eating things you shouldn't/overeating?

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Honestly, chewing gum.
  • TiraG
    TiraG Posts: 68
    Options
    Eat before you go over there. That's my plan for July 4th. My family cooks EVERYTHING under the sun. Good luck!
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    I remember how far I've come. Granted, I've been at it less than a month, but do I really want to UNDO all that work? With my diet, I did 2 weeks of strict low carb to train my brain and palette to not crave sweets, and it worked. Do I want to give into that donut once so I can want a donut again tomorrow? NOPE! I work in a fast food type restaurant, and I haven't eaten ONE little fry, or piece of soft pretzel, or anything fried since the beginning of June. It's easy, it's quick, and it's ALWAYS there, but I know that once I give in once, it will be harder to say no next time!
  • hcorgain
    hcorgain Posts: 1
    Options
    thanks for the tip! I find myself wanting to snack when I dont need too
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Drink a whole glass of water before eating anything, and there's nothing wrong with eating a little bit, because I'm sure its good food! But what I do when I go to my Grandma's and there's always sweets is this...I eat a couple of bites of each thing she has just to get the taste, then after a little while I feel good about it because I got to try her awesome cooking, but I dont feel like I'm going to pop like its Thanksgiving :)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    most definetly eat before you get there, something high protien. Next if you know its hard to control yourself dont even start on the unhealthy snacks. Then when you get there stay away from sweets and carbs. You just have to not be too hard on yourself and tell yourself "No" you are in charge
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It is so hard b/c that is a place where you are very comfortable and where you are used to eating. You need to change your view of your mom's house. Once you get there, try to stay busy, remember why you want to lose weight, and don't sabatoge yourself. The first time you can leave the house w/o eating or over eating, you will know you have the strength and the power to do it again. The more you do it, the easier it will be. The first few times will be hard b/c that is your "comfort" place.....my grandmother's house used to be my "comfort" place. Stay focused, write what you eat down, and if you can't eat anything there, bring your own food. I carry a bag of lettuce almost everywhere I go! LOL!! It will get easier, stay focused.....once you see your resutls you will not want to sabatoge yourself!!

Good luck!
  • jcarpio2010
    Options
    Honestly, chewing gum.
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll try it.
  • jcarpio2010
    Options
    Eat before you go over there. That's my plan for July 4th. My family cooks EVERYTHING under the sun. Good luck!
    I usually try to but there are times when I forget. Thanks!
  • jcarpio2010
    Options
    I remember how far I've come. Granted, I've been at it less than a month, but do I really want to UNDO all that work? With my diet, I did 2 weeks of strict low carb to train my brain and palette to not crave sweets, and it worked. Do I want to give into that donut once so I can want a donut again tomorrow? NOPE! I work in a fast food type restaurant, and I haven't eaten ONE little fry, or piece of soft pretzel, or anything fried since the beginning of June. It's easy, it's quick, and it's ALWAYS there, but I know that once I give in once, it will be harder to say no next time!
    That's good! Working at a fast food place would be difficult for me. But I'll try to stay focused.
  • jcarpio2010
    Options
    Drink a whole glass of water before eating anything, and there's nothing wrong with eating a little bit, because I'm sure its good food! But what I do when I go to my Grandma's and there's always sweets is this...I eat a couple of bites of each thing she has just to get the taste, then after a little while I feel good about it because I got to try her awesome cooking, but I dont feel like I'm going to pop like its Thanksgiving :)
    Lol, yea. Drinking water sounds like a great idea.
  • jcarpio2010
    Options
    most definetly eat before you get there, something high protien. Next if you know its hard to control yourself dont even start on the unhealthy snacks. Then when you get there stay away from sweets and carbs. You just have to not be too hard on yourself and tell yourself "No" you are in charge
    Thanks for the advice!
  • jcarpio2010
    Options
    It is so hard b/c that is a place where you are very comfortable and where you are used to eating. You need to change your view of your mom's house. Once you get there, try to stay busy, remember why you want to lose weight, and don't sabatoge yourself. The first time you can leave the house w/o eating or over eating, you will know you have the strength and the power to do it again. The more you do it, the easier it will be. The first few times will be hard b/c that is your "comfort" place.....my grandmother's house used to be my "comfort" place. Stay focused, write what you eat down, and if you can't eat anything there, bring your own food. I carry a bag of lettuce almost everywhere I go! LOL!! It will get easier, stay focused.....once you see your resutls you will not want to sabatoge yourself!!

Good luck!
    This is very true! Thanks for the advice!
  • margypan
    margypan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at my mother in laws house. They drink cokes, eat chips, deserts -- the whole nine. I couldn't handle other people eating without sucumbing to the bait. I ended up having to plan for the temptations. I took a pallet of coke zero over there. They keep a few in the fridge for me, so if everyone is having a coke I can have a coke zero without ruining my day. I'd take over low calorie popcorn to enjoy instead of a bag of chips (I took them over there preportioned into ziploc bags). And I keep low calorie whip cream over there, so when they're eating cake for desert I can have stawberries and whip cream. Know your temptations and plan for them. It's the only thing that works for me. It's still hard watching them eat donuts or cookies, but It's manageable for me when I have a healthy alternative available.
  • jcarpio2010
    Options
    I have the same problem at my mother in laws house. They drink cokes, eat chips, deserts -- the whole nine. I couldn't handle other people eating without sucumbing to the bait. I ended up having to plan for the temptations. I took a pallet of coke zero over there. They keep a few in the fridge for me, so if everyone is having a coke I can have a coke zero without ruining my day. I'd take over low calorie popcorn to enjoy instead of a bag of chips (I took them over there preportioned into ziploc bags). And I keep low calorie whip cream over there, so when they're eating cake for desert I can have stawberries and whip cream. Know your temptations and plan for them. It's the only thing that works for me. It's still hard watching them eat donuts or cookies, but It's manageable for me when I have a healthy alternative available.
    This is really helpful I'll try it.
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options

That is an amazing idea!!!!!!!!!!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    things that have helped me: coffee, gum, drinking lots of water before I go and once I get there -- oh and eat something with a lot of protein before you go too, it will fill you up. Once you get there, just stay on the veggies, or if there are no veggies, just take a small sample size of something.