Icing muscles before a workout?

Options
lindssaurus
lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Do that increase risk of injury? I've been taking a rest from working out for a week, taking Aleve and icing my the muscles above knee. Has anyone worked out after icing an injury? My knees feel a lot better but I don't know if I'm doing more harm than good. Last time they hurt it was because of was doing 30day shred and not using proper form.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    why are you taking aleve and icing the muscles above your knees? is there an injury? if so you have to diagnose and resolve that before you can know if its safe to workout and what you can do. When i'm icing an injury, i dont work out, so my answer is Yes it does increase the risk of injury for many reason. Even without an injury, i get my muscles very warmed up before i work them, cold muscles aren't safe to workout in my opinion
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    why are you taking aleve and icing the muscles above your knees? is there an injury? if so you have to diagnose and resolve that before you can know if its safe to workout and what you can do. When i'm icing an injury, i dont work out, so my answer is Yes it does increase the risk of injury for many reason. Even without an injury, i get my muscles very warmed up before i work them, cold muscles aren't safe to workout in my opinion

All of this.

Icing is used for a new injury. If you feel the need to ice prior to a workout, I'm *guessing* you probably shouldn't be doing it.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Are you warming up ur muscles before working out? Icing if u had a injury, and aleve does help the pain. If ur not sure if u injured ur self I would suggest checking it out before continuing to work out cause all ur doing it injured is putting a bandage over what could be something serious.
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've pulled or sprained from squatting and lunging incorrectly, recently. I have been working out for 5months and this just happened without any issue. This feeling in my legs has happened before years ago but it was when I was overdoing it. I didn't workout after icing, it didn't seem safe if I numb my muscles. I will continue keeping off my feet, the past 24hr I've been feeling a lot better
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Why are masking the pain that is telling you something is wrong and then continuing?

Also not a good idea to work cold muscles.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I would go to a doctor if the pain persists . It's better to be safe then sorry.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    No icing before a workout. I agree with the above, get it checked out if it seems to be different to normal soreness. Working out with an injury is not a good idea.
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Leave the workout until it heals it will only make it worse. Just work on everything but legs. Ice is better after a workout. I found hot water better than ice when I had an injury
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Working out with cold muscles is a bad idea