Weight loss when walking/running?

Options
Hi all! Just a question in regards to those who are calorie counting & walking/running for weight loss... I started my journey two weeks ago, and am only weighing in once a week.
I am 5'3" & started at 76.8kg (169.3lb). I'm doing 1200cal per day & 5 days a week of 1 hr cardio on the treadmill. I walk for the first 10mins to warm up, then alternate the next 50mins, 2mins walking, 1 1/2 mins running.
The first week I lost 2.1kg (4.6lb), woohoo! I just weighed in this morning after another long week of calorie counting an 5 x 1hr walking/running cardio sessions, & have only lost 600g (1.3lb) this week... I know a loss is a loss, but still disheartening after such a great loss last week.
I've read that runners sometimes gain/or don't lose weight to start with as they're gaining muscle even though they're losing fat? How long does this normally last before the scales start moving more again?
I've just counted all my entries over the past 5yrs or so on MFP & I've started & stopped 16 times!

Replies

• carmie85
    carmie85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Generally only lasting 2-3weeks at a time... I've decided this is because I get so disheartened when the scales don't move I just give up... But I'm determined not to this time!
    Feeling like I need abit of like minded motivation this morning! If anyone has any similar stories to mine in regards to weight loss progress while calorie counting and running, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks! :smiley:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Not gaining any muscle on 1200 cals a day - it is actually very difficult, and takes a calorie surplus and heavy, consistent weight lifting for a woman to gain significant muscle.

Congrats on your losses so far, and the numbers look to be totally normal. Don't be surprised if in the next few weigh-ins, you show the losses continue to slow, and you may even see a gain from time to time - also totally normal and nothing to panic over. Weight loss is not linear, and large losses only happen on tv shows (Thank Biggest Loser for a totally unrealistic portrayal of actual healthy, normal, sustainable weight loss :angry: ).

If the scale numbers really bug you, maybe you should not weigh weekly, but only every two weeks or even monthly. And grab yourself a tape measure and start tracking your measurements along the way - often the scale will be bouncing around with the same few pounds, up and down from week to week, but you're still making progress in the way of fat and inches coming off. True story - my scale didn't change for six months, but during that time I dropped a full size.

Eat your calories (and consider that 1200 is the bare minimum - you could probably up that a bit, which will be easier to stick to in the long run!), drink water, exercise, take rest days, and get good sleep - and be patient. It takes time, but it's worth it to take the time to do it right, or you just end up doing it over.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    carmie85 wrote: »
    Generally only lasting 2-3weeks at a time... I've decided this is because I get so disheartened when the scales don't move I just give up... But I'm determined not to this time!
    Feeling like I need abit of like minded motivation this morning! If anyone has any similar stories to mine in regards to weight loss progress while calorie counting and running, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks! :smiley:

Don't obsess over the scale. Your first big loss is normally water weight. I'm to the point now where I'll maintain for two or three weeks. Then have a big loss. You have to understand one thing. The scale only measures your overall weight. It does not account for body composition change. Body measurements are a much better method of tracking progress. Or you can track your body fat percentage.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You have lost 5.9 lbs in 2 weeks and you don't consider that success? I find this confusing, as I would consider it a huge success. You weight loss will not be linear and there will be many weeks that you don't lose anything. I would recommend looking at the big picture = trending in the right direction. Not sure if you are eating back your exercise calories, but as you become more fit, you will use fewer calories to do you 60 minute workout, so you will have to increase the intensity or work out longer for the same calorie burn.
  • Blueglass74
    Blueglass74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We are actually at a similar place in height and almost weight. Water wait frOm sweating can make it look like loosing weight. You might like the free c25k app for walking to running. It is called couch to 5k. It is a timer you can hear along with musi like pandora etc. it will keep you going up a level in exercise each week. I agree it's how your clothes fit that is what you should look at.. Such as anpair of tight pants feeling a little better :) try to make your goal health rather than weight. The weight being the bonus. SO you can be like a great day for all minerals and vitamins etc :) or drinking more water etc.