How to get started?

Options
I have 100+ to loose. I am not a lazy type person but I hate working out. I have tried walking and I do good for a few days then stop. A gym is not in my budget so I have to do it at home. How do you find the motivation to start?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is done through a calorie deficit.

But you should try and find an exercise you like for your health.
  • Nialuv24
    Nialuv24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    An idea would be to do 10 minutes of jumping jacks, everyday if you desire, and each time trying to better what you did the day before. That's cardio and, low impact, I believe. Also to mix-up when you go walking, you can do walking lunges, butt kickers, and high knees.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try finding a group to walk with. You might be more motivated to keep doing it if you knew other people were expecting you. Sign up on meetup.com and put "walking" as your interest. You can probably find a group in your area.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    IMHO walking is the best way to start. One option is to try working it into a commute - if using public transport get off a few stops early, or if driving park further away and walk the rest of the way to work.
  • Blueglass74
    Blueglass74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are sOme really good timer apps out there. I use c25 app from couch to 5k (3mikea) walking/running app. I repeat the first week because I need to get some of the weight off before I put too much pressure on a certain knee and foot. I love that I can listen to my music and have the app tell me to walk or run. And they have a free c25 app. Calorie counting app like this is awesome too because it teaches portion control and being able to eat what you want by planning meals so u have enough calories to enjoy a certain food. I also agree meetup is great for finding company. Walking with someone distracts us from seeing exercise as a chore :) Also I highly encourage buying one item a size down or two sizes down and put it in your closet. The goal is to wear it :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Use a calorie deficit for weight loss. If you want to exercise just find something you LIKE and WANT to do. For me that included lifting and tennis. If say, running was the only thing I could do, I simply wouldn't exercise because I don't enjoy it. it's easier to do something you like!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I started out with walking too. In the beginning I did have to push myself to do it. I was out of shape and never an exercise lover anyway. I just put on headphones with something distracting to listen to. Books...talk radio, ect. I'd find myself getting lost in listening to it and the 30mins would fly by.

It wasn't long before walking started becoming routine and making me feel good. I think if you give it a chance you just may find that it's doing something positive for you be it mentally, physically...