Hiking with a Toddler

Options
I'd really like to start hiking. We have quite a few trails in our area and I think it would be fun once or twice a week to take the kids hiking instead of me going to the gym. My older kids are 12 & 14 and they think it would be a lot of fun. However, I have a 2 1/2 year old who would also be tagging along. How can I go about including my toddler and still get in a good workout? Does anyone use the hiking backpacks and carry their child? If so, how comfortable are they for you and your little one? I've been looking at them online and most of them are pretty pricey. Are they worth the Investment?

Replies

• glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use my bob stroller when walking trails or my Tula baby carrier. I suppose if i was walking more than a couple miles i might invest in a hiking pack. They can be pricey. You can probably find one on your local craigslist.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    A sling is cheaper, and you can adjust it so that it's like a hammock for your child to sit in, or wrap it so it's like a piggyback ride.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to start hiking. We have quite a few trails in our area and I think it would be fun once or twice a week to take the kids hiking instead of me going to the gym. My older kids are 12 & 14 and they think it would be a lot of fun. However, I have a 2 1/2 year old who would also be tagging along. How can I go about including my toddler and still get in a good workout? Does anyone use the hiking backpacks and carry their child? If so, how comfortable are they for you and your little one? I've been looking at them online and most of them are pretty pricey. Are they worth the Investment?

I think if you want to bring a toddler on a hike you have to choose fun, togetherness, family healthly habits over getting as good of a workout as you would normally. I would let your toddler walk, explore and go at their pace.
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/kids-hiking.html
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    We used to have a rucksack type carrier - my daughter loved being in it and woud happily fall asleep in it , or gurgle / chat to us enjoying her new eye height. Boredom was rarely a problem... However I did find it heavy for long walks, and it was hubby who usually did the honours. The slings I used when she was smaller.

We also got a cycling seat for her and eventually a 'tag' and have done tons of family cycling. She loved it.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    A sling or check eBay, Craigslist or Amazon for cheaper prices!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I think if you want to bring a toddler on a hike you have to choose fun, togetherness, family healthly habits over getting as good of a workout as you would normally. I would let your toddler walk, explore and go at their pace.

Agreed. I also have a 2 and a half year old and he loves to go exploring.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

This. Now that he's 4 my little one can do a few miles of hiking, but still requires lots of stops to figure out what each flower, bug, and burrow is, lol. When he was 2 I used to bring along a mei tai carrier (like a sling), to give him a ride on my back when he got tired.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I hike with my toddler using a Tula soft structured carrier. Works well for us. He likes walking on his own, and the Tula isn't so bulky that I'm uncomfortable leaving it attached to me when he's walking. When he's tired I throw him on my back and we keep going.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I put my 20-month old in the Lillebaby 6-way carrier, usually on my back. It is great, and super supportive! Most packs and carriers were awful on my back, but this one distributes weight very nicely, and is comfy for her as well. The carrier we have is an infant to toddler one, but they make a larger one for toddlers which may work better for you.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would not count on a hike with a toddler for fitness, unless you're going to be carrying the kiddo for miles. We bring our two year old hiking, and his max is about 1-1.5 miles with lots of breaks. He is big on doing as much as possible without being carried though, and pretty much told us no way to the carrier starting at around 18 months.