Would there be any real issue eating chicken hearts too many times per week?

Options
CooCooPuff
CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
I picked up some hearts and liver a while back because I really wanted some offal. The liver was okay, some parts of it were a little unpleasant, but the hearts are so *kitten good and cheap. I usually buy three cans of tuna and three cans of sardines per week for my lunch. The sardines are too delicious to kick off, but I was able to pick up 690 grams of hearts for $2.18. The three cans of tuna are $.69 or $.68 a can, but I can stretch out 690 grams of hearts for 6 lunches. I understand there are concerns with liver, vitamin A, and perhaps the iron content. Chicken hearts have close to 33% per 100 grams, which is 23% more than my sardines. Could eating 90-100 grams or so hearts a few times a week cause much trouble?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @coocoopuff, just curious, your avi cracks me up and your question sounds like a Friskie's ad.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If I still had a Kit Kat, I'd totally give it some chicken hearts along with other parts to make a more complete raw meat diet. :'(
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Paleo for cats then
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Eating the hearts is only bad if you're eating less of them to make room for more tuna. There's not enough taurine in the tuna for you and it will eventually mess up your eyes, as good as it may taste.