Am I messing with a good thing?

Options
Just starting to worry as I read many of your postings!!!! I have pretty much been between 145 and 155 (5'8") my whole adult life! I have eaten a colorful, healthy plate, but do eat my sweet dessert every night, and a mocha or 2 every day! I have NEVER dieted! I started this MFP a month ago, because I started to worry about the fat in my diet. (mom just had gall bladder surgery....thus, I'm worried about my fat), and am down to 142. (I love it!!!!) BUT.......am I messing with my metabolism? Am I going to put on 5 pounds in a weekend if I don't "watch it"? I used to be able to have all full meals, and blackberry pie with ice cream to boot....... Does cutting calories for a long time, slow your metabolism? Now that I've lost 10 pounds, should I up my calories a bit?

Replies

• wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If your happy where your weight is then switch it in your settings to maintain your weight instead of losing. This should be a life time change especially if your worried about your health.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you have reached the point you want to be weight wise - set your profile to maintenance - it will give you more calories to eat to maintain your current weight - and still eat clean and healthy.....

Good on you for cleaning up your diet - that is such a big win, and you should be able to carry on being healthy - and occasionally have a little treat - and live a healthy live (god willing)

And no - cutting calories (as long as you stay within the guidelines given here) will not slow your metabolism - on the other hand if you are eating below the prescribed daily calories you will be creating issues for yourself, and will pick up the weight once you go back to "regular eating"
  • Kuniva
    Kuniva Posts: 8
    Options
    Keep up the good habits! Why find out what will happen if you don't eat right? You said yourself you're watching your fat for your health due to family history, so obviously that is more important than a sweet dessert every night!! On the other hand, I make sure I treat myself enough to stay satisfied without over doing it. My wife and I are suckers for Starbucks and the occasional energy drink.

As for your question, speeding up your metabolism doesn't mean it will slow down further than before if you go back to your old habits, but keeping the healthy diet like you are will allow those cheat meals to have less effect on your health. That's the good news. Eating healthy can actually not be that bad if you look for alternative ingredients and healthy but delicious recipes. My wife is a big fan of Skinnytaste.com and Dashingdish.com both have healthy recipes that are delicious as well. Also there is a book called Now Eat This by Rocco DeSpirito. Glad to hear your success with the changes you have made!!

Last note: You don't need to cut your calories below maintenance forever, once you achieve your goal, maintenance calories and exercise are the way to go.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I would go for the maintain now, it sounds like your body is happy around that number. You can go into the settings and change the calories per day.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All of you guys were so VERY helpful!!!! I think I'm going to up my calories just a bit, but keep the yucky fat out! Except like some of you said....my occasional pie, mocha, and ice cream.....small portions! Thanks for the web sit ideas....I'm going there now! I also have been below in my calorie intake, I'm not gonna let that happen any more! Thanks again!!! I love MFP! Dawn:heart:
  • dawnmichelea
    Options
    Keep up the good habits! Why find out what will happen if you don't eat right? You said yourself you're watching your fat for your health due to family history, so obviously that is more important than a sweet dessert every night!! On the other hand, I make sure I treat myself enough to stay satisfied without over doing it. My wife and I are suckers for Starbucks and the occasional energy drink.

As for your question, speeding up your metabolism doesn't mean it will slow down further than before if you go back to your old habits, but keeping the healthy diet like you are will allow those cheat meals to have less effect on your health. That's the good news. Eating healthy can actually not be that bad if you look for alternative ingredients and healthy but delicious recipes. My wife is a big fan of Skinnytaste.com and Dashingdish.com both have healthy recipes that are delicious as well. Also there is a book called Now Eat This by Rocco DeSpirito. Glad to hear your success with the changes you have made!!

Last note: You don't need to cut your calories below maintenance forever, once you achieve your goal, maintenance calories and exercise are the way to go.
  • dawnmichelea
    Options
    Love Dashing Dish!!!!! Thank you so much for mentioning that sight!!! Someone last night mentioned the skinny one, and it's great also!!!!