The Search For That Perfect Cereal...

Options
i spend 2 weeks buying different box of cereals in the little project of mine to find that perfect cereal, healthy and the taste has to be good! because in my country Malaysia, our regular breakfast is "nasi lemak".. its rice cooked with coconut..and 'roti canai'. so u can imagine the high calories.. it ranges easily between 350 calories for 1 pcs of roti canai, usually we will order 2... and 500 over calories for a complete set of 'nasi lemak'

i am cutting those food out. hence, the search of a perfect, low cal, delicious treat in the morning begins...

my first favourite is Yogood, chocolate and nuts muesli, about 200 calories per serving with low fat milk.
second runner up is, Post - Great Grains Crunchy Pecans, about 250 calories per serving with fat free milk.

what's yours?

Replies

• jamiegirl816
    Options
    cascandian farms cinnamon squares! only 110 cals for 1c of cereal and 1/2c skim milk! if you like cinnamon toast crunch you will love it! super tasty. its also really good crumbled over greek yogurt.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Kashi Autumn Wheat topped with fresh blueberries.....yummm!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch. If I'm feeling frisky I add raisins.
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    Total with honey flax omega 3. I never eat healthy cereals, but I like this one!
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch. If I'm feeling frisky I add raisins.

+1

:glasses:
  • jannapar
    jannapar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kellog's Frosted Mini Wheats
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I use to try all kinds as well, I gave up and I stick with muligran cherrios with blueberries or rice krispies. It tend to get to expensive buying different kinds. I just gave up.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love puffed millet or kamut - both are organic whole grain - I purchased mine at the supermarket - found them in the cereal aisle where the bagged cereals are - Arrowhead Mills brand for $1.79 - sodium, sugar & cholesterol free. I strongly suggest that you check them out. I eat mine with ground flax seeds, blueberries & sometimes add a banana and either use almond or coconut milk.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Cereal - Cinnamon Raisin, it is SO good!!
  • fifon1
    fifon1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I use to try all kinds as well, I gave up and I stick with muligran cherrios with blueberries or rice krispies. It tend to get to expensive buying different kinds. I just gave up.
    [/quote

yeah! it is very expensive to try all kind. i feel like prying open the box of each brand over the counter for a tester! lol! i think they will kick me out of the supermarket. but again, it will cost a lot lesser..
  • elyseology
    elyseology Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Special K Red Berries or Multigrain Cheerios! Those two are my favorites! I buy them every time I go to the store.

Special K Red Berries & Multigrain Cheerios:
    1 cup cereal = 110 Calories (150 with 1/2 cup skim milk)
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Cereal - Cinnamon Raisin, it is SO good!!

Yes, I love them too - I just go with the original which contains flax.
  • Lbdlala
    Lbdlala Posts: 1
    Options
    Peanut butter or regular Puffins. (90 to 110 calories per serving...I eat it dry often as a snack). Just sweet enough. I also subbed out cream cheese when I have a bagel thin for Laughing Cow Light cheeses and save 70 calories and like 7 g of fat . Cottage cheese is a good way to start the morn too (protein & calcium).
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Fiber One Original Bran Cereal. One serving is only 60 calories. I put a cup of Silk PureAlmond Unsweetened on it and it is 95 calories. Yum. (I usually eat two servings though!)

I know, I know, bran cereal that looks like trees... but it is so sweet and they don't add any sugar.... do try it if you can.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Yes, I love them too - I just go with the original which contains flax.
    [/quote]

That one's really good too, and I think a little lower in calorie, by like 10 cals. We go back and forth between the two!
  • red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    There is always Special K. I usually throw in some fresh strawberries or bananas to make it taste a bit better.
  • PinkVanity25
    Options
    Special K Blueberries! :D I loooove it! A serving (3/4 cup) is 110 calories and with 1/2 cup of skim milk is only 150 calories!
  • hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love Fiber One Original. It is so tasty! I usually eat a cup of it, which equals 120 cal without milk.
  • fernami
    fernami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Frosted Flakes!
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love Quaker Oats oatmeal squares cereal. It comes in brown sugar, cinnamon, or maple (my favorite). You get a whole cup (yes I measure it out) per serving and w/ 1/2 cup skim milk it's only 250 calories.