My story - 170lbs after 1 year 4 years later (with photos)

Options
coryhartling
coryhartling Posts: 16 Member
I have logged into MFP for 1712 days.

After my first year I was down 170lbs.

I did this not by changing who I am, but by building upon my best qualities.

I wrote a letter that I hope people will find helpful:

I’ve started and restarted my opening sentence to this letter multiple times. I want to convey my journey from morbid obesity to fitness. I want to do so in a way that is eloquent, poetic even. But, that isn’t me and poetry, while powerful, can be so contrite. Instead, I want to be blunt:

I was fat.

Fat, isn’t a dirty word. It is a characterization, nothing more...nothing less. This is something that I have come to realize. I know who I was. I accept who I was and I appreciate that I am still that person. Our past is our foundation. The past is what we have to build upon to reach our present. I could not be the person I AM without recognizing and embracing the person I WAS.

I moved to Squamish, with my amazing wife, almost five years ago. I was fat. I wasn’t unhappy, I want that to be clear. Too often, we equate happiness with fitness as if one cannot exist without the other. This wasn’t the case for me. I was happy. Not only that, I was determined, I had friends and I had a loving family.

But:

I was 25 years old and weighed 355lbs; about as much as a Giant Panda. For a Giant Panda, I was quite old. For a human though, I was casting aside the best years of my life.

From 2011/2012 I lost 170lbs. To many people I became a different person.

I ran, a lot. I went from struggling to walk halfway up our hill, to running half marathons.

I biked, a lot. I went from peddling around our block to completing, and competing, in multiple ‘Test of Metal’ races (thank-you Tantalus).

Many would call this a transformation. I would have to disagree. I did not change who I was, instead I channeled the best parts of my character in order to reach my goals.

I was happy guy: I am a happy guy. The things that made me happy still do (food, friends, family). I have simply added fitness to the equation.

I had determination: I am determined. I have worked hard all of my life. This is the same now as it was when I was 355lbs. I have simply expanded my purpose and my goals.

I had fantastic friends: I have fantastic friends. Friends accept you for who you are and believe in who you can be. My physical appearance has not changed this. I have had the same best-friend since I was five years old. He accepts me and believes in me just as much as the amazing people I have met since I have moved to Squamish (you know who you are). Although my circle of friends has shifted, the underlying foundation of acceptance and belief remains the same.

I had a loving family. I have a loving family. The size of my body has not altered my love for my family or they for me. However, the size of my body could have limited my time with them. I want to be there for my parents. I want to watch my nieces and nephews grow up and have children of their own.

I wanted to write this to remind people, who are struggling (in whatever capacity), that who we are informs who we will become. Recognize that you have amazing qualities. Recognize that these qualities are your foundation. A strong foundation roots us in who we are while allowing us to grow. Look to your past to inform your future and your goals.

Living in an amazing place like Squamish certainly helps.

Cory Hartling

6yj4hb8ihy59.jpg

unitrnpq1c0c.jpg
ljt9qolfj0y7.jpg
mo3olurwq4hn.jpg
y52kgf33v7go.jpg

jhn2rdi61k0x.jpg

Replies

• corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. I was in need of inspiration tonight.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, I enjoyed reading it! I love that you embrace your physical "appearance" both before and after your weight loss and reaching your fitness goals, and know that you are still YOU!!
  • juryizstillout
    juryizstillout Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing !
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wooowww, you look amazing and so much younger!
    It's great to know that you have friends and family who have loved you for who you were, who you are and stayed by your side while you "built upon your best qualities"
  • Maria_Fatima
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You lost this much in 1 year or 4 years?
    And where did your glasses go?
  • coryhartling
    Options
    Thank-you Maria. I lost 170lbs in my first year. The challenge with weight-loss is keeping it off. I have put on 20lbs since my lowest weight. However, I attribute this to muscle as I have become very active.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Options
    Gotta be, with all that bicycling and running! :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story, outstanding physical changes! Well done!
  • coryhartling
    Options
    @Maria glasses do not mix with running and biking...I learned this early on.
  • FaithMash2016
    FaithMash2016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow! Very inspirational, thank you for sharing.☺
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Amazing actually that you were able to lose the weight after establishing habits that are difficult to change. Great job.
  • mamabearbartlett
    mamabearbartlett Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cory Hartling, you are amazing. Thank you for sharing.
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.I've been walking an hour a day for two weeks ,you've inspired me to keep it up.Great post,congrats on your weight loss!
  • mazarasltm
    mazarasltm Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Truly I-N-S-P-I-R-E-D. I agree 100%, dont change who you are. Dont omit the food you like. Utilize your best qualities. Thanks
  • kdtm1974
    kdtm1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow... Upmost respect to you. Stay happy
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Really great post!
  • dahliagrower11
    dahliagrower11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on the introspective perspective. You sound truly appreciative of your life and your friends.

You are right in that Squamish is a fantastic place to live for the outdoor life. I grew up on the North Shore and spent many weekends up in Squamish (climbing mainly) and then Whistler (skiing). The West Coast is the best place to live:) I now live on Vancouver Island and although not as awe-inspiring as the Squamish-Whistler Coastal area it is a beautiful place to live. Lots to be grateful for - and health is the best thing of all. Keep going!
  • carmexaldewin87
    carmexaldewin87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and letter. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!!!
  • pigelet
    pigelet Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring and kudos on 1715 days of MFP.

• oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your inspiring story! What an amazing way to look at your journey-channeling the best parts of yourself. I will take that with me as I still continue on working to become more fit now that I'm over 40. I've never been an athlete or a gym rat, but I know I can dig deep into the parts of me that have helped me succeed in other parts of my life and to do so in this journey. This will no doubt help me overcome my fears, insecurities and anxiety over what I can't do yet and help propel forward to working on what I can and will do!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!