Heart rate/calorie monitor's Uk which is best?

Options
Hi,
I use myfitnesspal on iphone/ipad. After reading different blogs all state that gym equipment do not give a true calorie burnt, it has been suggested I purchase one of these watches or bracelet things that work out more accurate count. There are so many how there can anyone recommend one (the cheaper the better).

Thanks

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use the top end Polar sports watch V800. For somebody to begin with exercise I would recommend the Polar M400 or a Garmin watch. Be aware: these watches work fine for cardio but not so much for weight training. You will use them with a heart rate monitor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've got a garmin 225 that I love (I'm a runner)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... it has been suggested I purchase one of these watches or bracelet things that work out more accurate count.

What activities do you do?
  • wendypark811
    wendypark811 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Walk my dog every day and then at the gym treadmill, spinning, cross trainer and rower.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I hate fitbit watches (my preference and the Charge has issues), but I have had vivovit, vivomsmart and now my forerunner. I like garmin's stuff. You can look at the products and decide what you want a tracker to do for you and how much you want to spend and also if you want an Heart Monitor (chest or wrist) and GPS or not.. and decide..

I am Garmin woman, others will be fitbit.. so carry on with the reviews from others here.. everyone will be different.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Walk my dog every day and then at the gym treadmill, spinning, cross trainer and rower.

So for walking I'd suggest either a step tracker or a GPS phone app, your HR won't be high enough to give you a meaningful calorie estimation.

For spinning, your best bet is to take it from the bike, again your HR won't reflect energy expenditure due to the varying intensities. For treadmill and rower, assuming you're going a roughly constant pace you'd get away with something like the Polar FT4, if you want to get more sophisticated then my preference is for Garmin devices like the VivoSmart HR or the VivoActive, but in practice the machines aren't that far out in their estimations, as wrist devices make assumptions as well.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Vivoactive HR sounds ideal for you.
  • supersimonesquirrel
    supersimonesquirrel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge hr - it is really great, cannot fault it really.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I the rower is a Concept2 then suggest using this.....
    http://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/calorie-calculator

It's likely to be pretty accurate as it's based on power with a correction for your weight rather than HR which has a huge variance between individuals.

Be aware than none of those "bracelet things" can actually measure calories. They can just estimate with varying degrees of inaccuracy.

The need for exercise calorie estimating is very over-stated. Reasonable and consistent is fine.