"Ptsh, I would NEVER let myself gain back all the weight I lost!"

Options
...Famous words before gaining back the 16kgs / 35lbs I lost 2 years ago!

Hello everyone. My name is Emma and this is my second time on MyFitnessPal. I've come back with a new username, and hopefully a new attitude.

I'm 25, and I have two confessions to make:

1: I used to have a MFP account with lots of supportive and inspirational friends. I LOVED being in a community where I could ask questions, read food diaries, look at workout routines. I even posted a progress story which inspired others to add me, and look to me for advice... I was too embarrassed to let them know I was slowly gaining back all the weight I lost, so back in February I deleted my account. I feel horrible for it, and didn't get a chance to thank all my old MFP buddies for all the support.

2: I've not been looking after my diabetes properly. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back when I was 19 and severely overweight.

Since then, I've managed to lose weight, put it back on again, then lose some more, then put it all on again... then lose it ALL... and put it all on again. What an adventure. My poor body doesn't know what to do with itself!

I've had enough of ignoring what could happen to me if I don't stop overeating and start moving.
I've also had enough of coming up with excuses for my weight gain. Read a few for your amusement.

"I've just started a new job"
"the teachers room has so many treats"
"I'm moving house"
"I'll start in the New Year"
"I'll wait til after the New Year, everybody starts in the New Year"
"I get so HUNGRY in the evenings"
"I'm far too tired to work out"
"It's only a kilo, I can shake that off in no time"..... you get the point!

I don't just want to lose weight. I want to kill off all those awful eating habits my brain has been programmed to do for the last 20 years!

Thanks for reading, beautiful MFPers :)

Emma x

Replies

• anyonebutjen
    anyonebutjen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Lost 75 gained 40. I don't want to gain it all back
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The teachers room has too many treats! I've used that one too often!
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I also lost a tonne of weight 3 years ago, then gained nearly 65lbs back within 3 years. Shocking!! So here I am again too. 35lbs down so far haha.

Nice to "meet" you and well done for kicking your *kitten* back in gear!! ☺️
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello Emma! You can do this!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    So courageous to come back to MFP! To be honest I have decided to keep logging once I hit my target (nearly there) because I suspect that I too could be gaining it all back if I do not have accountability to myself and my MFP friends.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Bahahahahahaha! I did not type kitten back in gear! I love the MFP correcting my "bad language" Hahahaha.
  • cstehno
    cstehno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been on this path for over two years, getting up at 5am every morning to hit the gym may seem hard, but it gets easier, and your body rewards you with increased energy and endorphins...

But exercise is at best 40% of the battle. Turning down the donuts that your coworker brought, that second helping mashed potatoes smothered in butter and cheese, and eating reheated vegetables and lean protein instead of going out to lunch NEVER gets easier. In fact, it gets harder. I hate the term "diet". "Diet" implies "temporary", as in, "as soon as I get to my goal weight, I can go back to my old, crappy eating habits". Nothing could be further from the truth, It has to be "this is the new way I eat...forever". That's why it's essential to find a eating regimen that you actually enjoy, not just tolerate. If you don't actually like it, you won't stick with it for the long haul. I had many false starts where I'd loose 10 lbs here or 20 lbs there, but it wasn't until I "permanently" changed my eating habits that I was able to knock off 70 lbs and keep them off for over a year (so far).

As for the diabetes management, look into the ketogenic system. I have a foodie friend who is is pre-diabetic and has a strong family history of diabetes and she manages it using keto. And most importantly, she can eat tons of delicious food, not just vegetables and cardboard.
  • StrawbC
    StrawbC Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I hear you I feel you I'm living it too. I lost 67lbs (30kgs) and have put back on 11lbs (5kgs) over the past months. Its not much but it an upward trend I'm not enjoying and I can't seem to find my centre, my momentum, my drive. What got me started originally was connecting with people on here, staying connected having accountability buddies. I need to revisit these starting points. This post resonated with me so much. I need to re-connect to the MFP community. You guys keep me honest, keep me real, keep me motivated and positive. I want I need I am a MFP addict... But its a good thing...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Good for you for coming back. You can be invaluable on the boards since you know "what not to do". That knowledge can be precious since many can't wait to stop counting and "get back to a normal life". Good luck and hope to see you posting.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back! Ups and downs are part of the process and even if you don't feel like it you are winning! Every time you come back and try again you win a smaller part of the battle. I work for a school district as well, the teacher lounge can be an evil place but I know you are strong and wonderful and will defeat all of obstacles!
  • ofcsfoster36
    ofcsfoster36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Been on the yoyo myself. I am also type 2 diabetic. I ignored it so much I lost a toe to the disease and was hospitalized due to my liver function, that was my wake up call. It is a long and tough road I wish there was more education in schools for kids on proper eating and exercise especially here in the states maybe we could help save some kids from the mistakes I made.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds in 2001 and stayed at goal for a year. Gained a bit back, lost it, stayed at goal for 2 years, then gained 55 back and have lost 22 so far here on MFP. My last job I sat next to a baker who worked part time at a candy factory. Every week she brought in at least 3-5 kinds of cookies, and extra chocolate.
    I'd pray she'd make things I didn't like so I wouldn't be tempted!
    I'm now prediabetic and don't eat cookies or candy. It's actually easier to say no with a health condition than it was with the diet excuse.
    Welcome back!
  • ianwilson67
    ianwilson67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i lost 40lbs in 3 months in 2009, gained back 70lbs in 7 years! a lot harder this time for some reason.
  • LuceC92
    LuceC92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This sounds exactly like me! But we're both back now and we know what we need to do and how much better we will look and ultimately feel!!! Let's do this girl :) !!!!
  • indigorays
    indigorays Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Emma!! You and me both girl lol I've gained the 35 back that I lost 3 years ago...and THEN some! 45 in total, yikes!! I work in a school too as special Ed support staff and omg the teachers room is poppin with delicious treats haha!! Let's do this together, I know we can!!
    Best of luck to you xoxox Dee
  • StrawbC
    StrawbC Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Had my first under calorie goal day for over a month. see just one post a couple of new friends and I'm in a different head space. I just need to remember to take it one day at a time. Day was a good day I'm grateful my will power and determination hasn't abandoned me completely. Tomorrow will be another challenge. I find when I'm off the sugar completely I do so much better, less ups and downs emotional and less anxiety generally. This is going to be tough as I'm already getting headaches, needing naps, a little cranky but I just have to remember I'm just coming off the sugar. These are short term side effects of sugar withdrawal. I can do this... TODAY
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma, I lost 16 as well and I'm slowly sliding in the wrong direction again. First 2 kilos, then 5. I know it's "only" 5, but it just has to stop. I've only rejoined here again last week and I'd love to add you as a friend.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Bahahahahahaha! I did not type kitten back in gear! I love the MFP correcting my "bad language" Hahahaha.

That's hilarious! :D
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in 2001. I kept every ounce off until 2006. (I even had a baby in 2004, stayed slim thruought the pregnancy, and left all the baby fat at the hospital, just like a celebrity. Now I have no idea how I did that.) So in 2006, a pound here snuck back on, then a pound there. By 2008 I was gaining a pound a month. I'm now hovering back between 60-70 lbs gained back. I still don't understand how it happened. But now I'm pre diabetic too and it doesn't even run in my family! Good luck to all of us as we wrestle with our weight.
  • JodieMarie38
    JodieMarie38 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent Emma. I did exactly the same, lost my weight, added in back on plus some. I deleted my account and have come back with a new username and now adding new friends....determined to get back on track :-)