Cardio or strength training. Pick a side!

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I like seeing progress in both
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've heard that lifting weights and building muscle helps you burn more calories. As in, a muscular person sitting on the couch watching tv will burn more calories than a non muscular person sitting doing nothing. I hope that's true!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've heard that lifting weights and building muscle helps you burn more calories. As in, a muscular person sitting on the couch watching tv will burn more calories than a non muscular person sitting doing nothing. I hope that's true!

For every lb of muscle you gain, its an increase in metabolic rate of about 4 to 6 calories. So you would have to gain a good amount of muscle to make a difference.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

For every lb of muscle you gain, its an increase in metabolic rate of about 4 to 6 calories. So you would have to gain a good amount of muscle to make a difference.

Per day, not per hour. Just to clarify.

As to the OP, I like 'em both for different reasons and a balance of both is optimal IMO. No reason to choose between them unless you're somehow physically unable to do one or the other. But weight loss comes from calorie deficit, regardless of how you create it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm just not into cardio these days. I injured my foot and it's taking forever to heal. I feel like the low impact modifications I can do during cardio make it too easy. And I just don't like cardio. I get bored, I don't like getting too sweaty, it messes up my hair. Silly, yes, but that's how I feel.

What are your thoughts on sticking solely with strength training? Can one still lose weight with only strength training? I work out five to six days a week. I do walk a lot. I have a dog so I average two hours a day walking. (Lucky dog) I'm trying to lose about five pounds.

Walking is cardio.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/cardio/

I think it is good to do both for your health. Do what you like doing.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Both. Cardio has been great for improving my lungs, weight loss, and general endurance, but when I was going to the gym the strength training built more strength in my lumbar (I have degenerated discs from a seriously bad lifestyle in my teens, so the extra strength helps a lot). Hope to be able to go back soon, but in the mean time plenty of squats to keep my legs strong.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I don't wanna choose and you can't make me. I love them both in different ways. lr4z7x9ad5eb.jpeg

This is my stance, with the added bonus of the picture.

I generally lean more towards Cardio in my current workouts but I love the strength classes I do. As soon as I'm at the weight I'm happy with I'm going to cut down on Cardio and incorporate a true weight program. I could do it now but I still love my Cardio classes a bit too much to cut down at the moment :)
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can't just do one or the other! I love cardio and endurance training but I need to lift weights as well. What I have recently started doing is circuits of strength and cardio in one session to knock two birds with one stone.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Diet for losing weight, strength training for looking good and cardio for overall fitness. I do all three, but I prefer cardio as I am a marathon runner.
  • teatumbles
    teatumbles Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cardio all the way. I'm trying to lean up
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Strength training following the principal that anything over 5 reps is just cardio work!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd just never pick a side. I personally think that many people that dislike one or the other and never find ways to overcome that are missing out. There are plenty of variations of both, and to some extent focus on one is more or less useless in many real world fitness challenges.

So I will continue to pick both as my choice, with the emphasis geared towards any goals I'm shooting for over time.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How bout functional strength training? Look at the website strength 1st. Tactical strength training is good too! They're not quite like crossfit but they do increase strength (and mass if desired) while increasing cardiovascular ability.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    For cardio I just lift faster ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For cardio I just lift faster ;)

German Body Comp.... i thought my heart was going to explode.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I do both like many here. I feel like each helps with the other.

Have you tried HIIT? It's a great combination of both IMO.
  • TeaTimeAgain
    TeaTimeAgain Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you wanna fill out so to speak. Cardio is good for making you lean and toned because of the sections it focuses on. Strength training does exactly that. Bulks your muscles. A good mixture of both is best with a solid diet if your focus is to lose weight and get fit.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My god I love lifting. Yes u can loose weight lifting. However it's diet that will get u to lose weight. You just wanna burn calories lifting n not do cardio? Do circuits with weights. Lower weight higher reps gets your heart going.
    Normally I do cardio if I need to burn few more calories. However cardio isn't just running or sitting on a bike.
    For example
    12 x squat into shoulder press (w dumbell)
    12 x reverse lunges (w dumbell)
    12x push up on medicine ball
    300m row
    15 over head ball slams
    Plank with alternate front touch 10 each hand
    50 skip w rope

Do 4 times with 2 mins rest between sets (or none if feeling fit)

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you wanna fill out so to speak. Cardio is good for making you lean and toned because of the sections it focuses on. Strength training does exactly that. Bulks your muscles.

Although this statement can be true, it is a gross generalization. There are plenty of strength training routines that don't lead to bulky muscles. They just make you stronger.

I personally think everyone should strength train. Myths like this are what keeps girls out of the gym. I hope people do their research before coming to these types of conclusions.

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love running, but want to add strength training. Not sure where to start. Just do an abs/core class once a week for now and sore after almost every class...