1200 calories a day

Options
emmatthompson
emmatthompson Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I <3'm awful at healthy food. Litterally do not have a clue! Can anyone give me a weekly diet to follow? Easy to prep because I'm an awful cook too haha!
Me and my boyfriend are trying to get healthier bit he doesn't like veggies which makes it even harder!!!

Replies

• catestevam
    catestevam Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set weekly diet, but I try to make simple things in large quantities and add variety to it during the week. For example, I'll make a big batch of rice, chicken breast, and usually some kind of vegetable on Sunday. Then I mix it up by adding different spices/soy sauce/buffalo sauce/etc, so I don't get bored.

Not adding vegetables is a bit of a hurdle because it adds volume to your meals without the calories. I find turnips is good replacement for potatoes, as weird as that sounds. You can cube them, and season them the same as home fries and they're pretty delicious. Some other good substitutes: Mashed cauliflower or sometimes I'll parboil baby carrots, and add a bit of lite maple syrup.
  • bonnie824
    bonnie824 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has lots of 1200 a day plans and ideas. I found it too low for long term and moved to 1400, but I am pretty large.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Barbecued Cat!
  • eikalipse
    eikalipse Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i am set for 0.75kg lost per week. and exercise or not, I'm set for 1200 per day. not possible for me to follow it. I'm too hungry.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Try to start by buying the "steamable "veggies from birdeye in the frozen section- I know you said BF does not like veggies but if you try one bag at a time esp. those with cheese sauce or roasted garlic flavored etc- they make grow on him becuase they are not plain boiled veggies.Also stirfry lean meat and veggies - empharsize the meat then gradually par down meat to include more veggies- Hope this helps- Oh Youtube has loads of ideas for stirfry
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Take a class on cooking. Search the internet for recipes. Try one new vegetable a week.

I highly recommend stir frys. Cut up some onion, red peppers, and some asparagus in 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Once they start to turn translucent add 3 oz of cubed chicken. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder. Turn chicken pieces over and then check for doneness. Serve with a baked.potato or over rice or pasta.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 2 eggs fried with nonstick spray, cup of nonfat milk in coffee

Lunch: fresh spinach, grape tomatoes, fresh broccoli, fresh bell pepper, low-cal dressing (Trader Joe's Light Champagne-Vinaigrette @ 50 cal for 2 Tbsp.), 4 oz canned chicken breast (Kirkland brand), 28 grams of beef jerky or a Baby Bonbel cheese

Snack: Kind bar or other snack with equivalent calories (170-200). Sometimes a piece of Masada brand pita bread (116 calories per pita).

Dinner: 4-5 oz lean chicken or pork loin, steamed veggies, more salad with low-cal dressing. Fruit or 1 square of dark chocolate if calories allow.

Voila. 1200 calories. Lots more add-ons, esp fat, if I exercised that day.
  • eikalipse
    eikalipse Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    eikalipse wrote: »
    i am set for 0.75kg lost per week. and exercise or not, I'm set for 1200 per day. not possible for me to follow it. I'm too hungry.

Choose a smaller weekly weight loss goal & your calories will be increased.

Add exercise you do & your calories will be increased. Don't eat back 100% of them - calorie burn estimates can be way off.

Pick something that you can live with awhile. 1200 for a few weeks & then burnout....not a good plan.

Cookinglight.com & Skinnytaste.com are a couple good sites for recipes.

I focus on protein, fat & fiber. These are filling.
    My calorie allowance was bigger, but I guess with weight going down, I need less calories to keep loosing. like, if I will loose another, lets say, 15 lb, I cant go lower than 1200 calories . That's a dead end.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Add exercise you do & your calories will be increased. Don't eat back 100% of them - calorie burn estimates can be way off.

Pick something that you can live with awhile. 1200 for a few weeks & then burnout....not a good plan.

My calorie allowance was bigger, but I guess with weight going down, I need less calories to keep loosing. like, if I will loose another, lets say, 15 lb, I cant go lower than 1200 calories . That's a dead end.

Weekly weight loss becomes S L O W E R. You are not expected so decrease calories to match the same weekly weight loss goal forever. Something like this.........

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Just seconding this post - 1.5 lbs is pretty aggressive. Choose a smaller weekly goal, log your exercise, and eat back half those calories. If you are a woman on the smaller size, and you choose an aggressive goal, you are going to get the bare minimum calories. Better to lose a little slower than give up. I am set to 0.5 lbs per week, so I can get enough calories to not be hangry!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I often eat 1200 a day. It is not particularly hard. The bulk of your food should be ads high fiber, high protein, and low calorie as possible.

For example, yesterday for dinner, I had grilled Jamaican jerk pork loin topped with mango salsa served with bulgur cooked in water, fresh lime juice and pineapple juice with some cut up grilled pineapple tossed in. It was delicious.

Today, I have had a kale and coleslaw mix salad with 2tbls of Lighthouse's 35 cal bacon vinaigrette and 175g of 0% Greek yogurt w/100g of fresh raspberries and strawberries for breakfast. In a second, I will eat steamed green beans with 5oz of leftover Jamaican pork loin with 2tbls of mango salsa. Tonight for dinner, I will have fresh tomato, basil, and mozzarella bruschetta with whole wheat pita bread. Dessert is probably 0% greek yogurt with fresh berries and sugar free chocolate syrup.

If you really want to cut cals, make some Asian dishes with Pasta Zero noodles. The fettuccine ones work great for pad thai and the spaghetti ones are good for stir fries.
  • strongisthenewsexymfp
    Options
    Today I had -
    Ready made chocolate protein shake
    Americano coffee with bit of almond milk
    Lunch -Two boiled eggs (no yolk yuck) with raw spinach, Chicken chunks chilli flavouring, Bowl of corgetti spaghetti with salt/pepper
    Dinner - rare steak, brussel sprouts, bit of wholewheat pasta
    More food after dinner - 2 wheatabix in almond milk with splenda (just like sugar)

I have 200 calories left still to hit 1170 calorie target, will probably have a chocolate protein shake. I bought the wrong yohurt, would have preferred bowl of chopped strawberry and blueberrys with 0% fat vanilla yoghurt.
  • nickolecrane
    nickolecrane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day every day. I don't get in a lot of veggies, but sometimes sneaking them in can help. I.e. chicken meatloaf with part of a bag of diced frozen veggies mixed in.(thawed)
    But a typical day starts with a whey based protein shake made with almond milk, a home made chicken burger for lunch topped with hummus, a pure protein bar for a snack, 8 slices of turkey deli meat with 4 tbs greek yogurt based spinach dip divided and rolled up in them, and finally a lite and fit greek yogurt with 2 tbs pb2.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You realize that what you're asking for is something people go to school and take certification courses for, right? And they don't do it for free.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine having someone tell me what to eat for each meal. I am probably a bit too scared if new things, but reading through here, I have read several things that I just don't think I would want to eat! You just have to eat the foods you do like, and start finding a way to make it lower calorie, and incorporate more veggies In here and there. Big boys need their veggies! If y'all start eating them more, just forcing yourselves to eat at least a small amount on a regular basis, you'll get used to them, and then it will get easier.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes thirst masquerades as hunger.

YMMV, but I'm generally not too hungry. I drink a boat load of water during the day, eat a lunch somewhere in the ballpark of 100-300 calories, and funnel most of my calories into dinner. For me, it was really, really tricky to try to divide 1200 calories into three 400-calorie meals... but a snack and a kick-butt dinner is something I can easily do.
  • achilady
    achilady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Try to start by buying the "steamable "veggies from birdeye in the frozen section- I know you said BF does not like veggies but if you try one bag at a time esp. those with cheese sauce or roasted garlic flavored etc- they make grow on him becuase they are not plain boiled veggies.Also stirfry lean meat and veggies - empharsize the meat then gradually par down meat to include more veggies- Hope this helps- Oh Youtube has loads of ideas for stirfry

I love those Birdseye Steamfresh veggies! They are affordable and you can get them Walmart. They are easy to make and are convenient if I need something to eat for lunch at work.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You want to lose weight, but not cook, and vegetables must be excluded. That leaves raw fruits and packaged items. You can lose weight this way, but you'll probably be hungry and undernourished. Consider sucking it up and learning to cook. You'll eat much better tasting food than the packaged items, you'll be healthier and it's cheaper in the end. Weight loss will be easier, too.