Is too much protein bad for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    An important point to keep in mind is that the potential for harm exists if protein is consumed in excess. Such harm is most likely to occur in the individual who consumes protein or amino acid supplements.
    For example, excess protein may lead to dehydration, because protein metabolism requires extra water for utilization and excretion (i.e., elimination) of its by-products. Since exercising individuals are already at an increased risk for dehydration, the additional strain of protein waste excretion may further promote dehydration.
    Excess protein has also been shown to lead to an increase in the loss of urinary calcium. A chronic calcium loss, due to excess protein intake, is of particular concern because it may increase the risk of osteoporosis, especially in women.

So what is excess protein consumption?
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    0.8 - 1.0 grams of protein per pound body weight is pretty standard. I've also seen it quantified as 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. (200 lbs @ 20% body fat = 180 grams a day). If you're staying in this range you have nothing to worry about.

Protein doesn't make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat.

Wouldn't that be 160 grams? 200lbs at 20% I mean...

.8 g per lb at 200 lbs = 160 g, but 1 g per lb at 200 lbs is 200 g. 180 g is the average of the two.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The word being missed out is "lean". 1g per lean kg of body mass.

The word being missed out is "minimum". That's the absolute ABSOLUTE minimum ANYONE should EVER consume on average. It's how much you need to not become deficient. It is not optimal even for a sedentary person.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    0.8 - 1.0 grams of protein per pound body weight is pretty standard. I've also seen it quantified as 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. (200 lbs @ 20% body fat = 180 grams a day). If you're staying in this range you have nothing to worry about.

Protein doesn't make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat.

Wouldn't that be 160 grams? 200lbs at 20% I mean...

.8 g per lb at 200 lbs = 160 g, but 1 g per lb at 200 lbs is 200 g. 180 g is the average of the two.

Thanks, Will Hunting.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options

The word being missed out is "minimum". That's the absolute ABSOLUTE minimum ANYONE should EVER consume on average. It's how much you need to not become deficient. It is not optimal even for a sedentary person.

According to the article, there is normally no advantage to consume anymore than 0.82g per lb. I think I'd prefer to go on a recommendation from some half decent research than a dude I don't know on an Internet forum.
  • Hornsby
    edited June 2016
    Options

According to the article, there is normally no advantage to consume anymore than 0.82g per lb. I think I'd prefer to go on a recommendation from some half decent research than a dude I don't know on an Internet forum.

Make up your mind. You first stated 1gr per kg of lean mass, versus .82 per lb, which you are saying now. Which one is it cause 1 is about double the amount.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    So was browsing around the internet and came across a blog that stated that it was bad to have too much protein (it was a vegan blog, and no I'm not vegan or vegetarian) they recommended that it should be no more than 0.4g per body weight even if you're working out to be a body builder. But I have fitness books that recommend that I should be consuming 0.8 - 1.0 grams of protein per body weight each day. I usually hit around 130-150g per day and I workout 3-4 times a week, 1-1.5hr per session. Also read that too much protein can make you fat. Anyone have any sites that can clear this info up? The ones I've been coming across are saying either or and I don't want to do my body any harm in the long terms of things.

HEy, Too Much Of Anything Can Make You Fat.... Moderation Is Key.. The Amount Of Protein You Take In Is Based Upon Your Goals And Generally For Fat Loss 1g / Lb Of LEAN Body Weight Is Recommended For Various Reasons. Layne Nortons Video Log Posted Above By Wetcoaster Is A Great Explanation Of Protein Intake Myths...

• Packerjohn
    edited June 2016
    Options

"The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day (or 8 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight). (1) The Institute of Medicine also sets a wide range for acceptable protein intake—anywhere from 10 to 35 percent of calories each day (same as the USDA btw). Beyond that, there’s relatively little solid information on the ideal amount of protein in the diet or the healthiest target for calories contributed by protein."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/#ref1

Given a 2000 calorie a day diet, 30% of calories would be 667 or about 165-170g of protein. Harvard School of Public Health is a good enough source for me. Consider it a better source than some guy that quit being a consultant because he liked being in a gym.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options

Make up your mind. You first stated 1gr per kg of lean mass, versus .82 per lb, which you are saying now. Which one is it cause 1 is about double the amount.

My word! It's not too difficult to notice that you have completely missed the point.
    I, that's me, stated that the important part of the 1g per 1kg of protein thing was the omission of the word "lean". Are you with me so far? I didn't mention that I thought it was wrong, should be lower or should be higher. I'm not making a claim to tell you how much protein I think you, or anyone, should consume.
    Secondly, I was referring to what that article summarised, I didn't put quotation marks around this: "there is normally no advantage to consume anymore than 0.82g per lb..."

I didn't write that, I'm quoting.
    The broscience from all the magazines is 1g per lb of body weight, that article calls it a myth. Not me
    Now, is there anything else I've done that you don't fathom?
  • Packerjohn
    Options

My word! It's not too difficult to notice that you have completely missed the point.
    I, that's me, stated that the important part of the 1g per 1kg of protein thing was the omission of the word "lean". Are you with me so far? I didn't mention that I thought it was wrong, should be lower or should be higher. I'm not making a claim to tell you how much protein I think you, or anyone, should consume.
    Secondly, I was referring to what that article summarised, I didn't put quotation marks around this: "there is normally no advantage to consume anymore than 0.82g per lb..."

The broscience from all the magazines is 1g per lb of body weight, that article calls it a myth. Not me

"The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day (or 8 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight). (1) The Institute of Medicine also sets a wide range for acceptable protein intake—anywhere from 10 to 35 percent of calories each day (same as the USDA btw). Beyond that, there’s relatively little solid information on the ideal amount of protein in the diet or the healthiest target for calories contributed by protein."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/#ref1

Given a 2000 calorie a day diet, 30% of calories would be 667 or about 165-170g of protein (2000 calories a day or even a bit more would be very reasonable for a 170 bl individual). Harvard School of Public Health is a good enough source for me (plus the USDA has the same recommendations). Not really broscience. Consider them a better source than some guy that quit being a consultant because he liked being in a gym.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Is it difficult to do the math or did you not notice that 0.82 g per lb equals 1.8 g per kg, which is almost double that 1g per kg lean mass recommendation that is and always was supposed to be the minimum because that's approximately the RDA?
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    Seriously just going to talk to myself to have an educated conversation.

Right, no, I'm fine with maths, thanks for the concern.
    It's seems you either don't understand English, or are deliberately misconstruing what I'm posting to have a cheap dig.
    I'll say it a different way, see if it goes in.
    I understand that 1kg is more than 1lb. I understand that 1g per 1kg is a different amount to 1g per 1lb. The point I was attempting to make is that, it's not 1g to 1lb (.45kg), or 1kg (2.2lb) (HINT: it doesn't matter which one it is in regards to the point of my post) of body weight, but 1g to 'blah' of LEAN body weight and the word lean being omitted from the equation, if you like.
    I then quoted an article that said no one needs more than 0.82g per whatever it was, it was a separate post, which I thought may have been of use to someone. Nothing to do with my first post - it wasn't a follow up.
    I hope that's clear as mud.

• stevencloser
    edited June 2016
    Options
    K.
    What was the point of your first post?
    Or your second one for that matter, since neither have anything to do with the question asked.
    And you answered with talking about your article when I quoted your other post as if the two have anything to do with each other.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Don't know why you would call it broscience when it's widely considered the benchmark throughout the industry, a benchmark most, if not all, the top professional athletes in the body building industry maintain.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    I could ask you the same question. What's been the point of any of your replies towards me, other than to try to irritate me?

Because per LEAN<- read this word! LEAN. Not g per lb of mass, g per lean lb of mass. Why is it so hard to grasp?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    To attempt to get the thread back on subject......

This is Alan Aragon's take on the "Is too much protein bad for you?" question.

Myth #1: “High protein intake is harmful to your kidneys.”

Back in 1983, researchers first discovered that eating more protein increases your “glomerular filtration rate,” or GFR. Think of GFR as the amount of blood your kidneys are filtering per minute. From this finding, many scientists made the leap that a higher GFR places your kidneys under greater stress.

What science really shows:
    Nearly 2 decades ago, Dutch researchers found that while a protein-rich meal did boost GFR, it didn’t have an adverse effect on overall kidney function. In fact, there’s zero published research showing that downing hefty amounts of protein—specifically, up to 1.27 grams per pound of body weight a day—damages healthy kidneys.

The bottom line:
    As a rule of thumb, shoot to eat your target body weight in grams of protein daily. For example, if you’re a chubby 200 pounds and want to be a lean 180, then have 180 grams of protein a day. Likewise if you’re a skinny 150 pounds but want to be a muscular 180.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-truth-behind-5-food-myths.html
  • Hornsby
    Options
    K.
    What was the point of your first post?
    Or your second one for that matter, since neither have anything to do with the question asked.
    And you answered with talking about your article when I quoted your other post as if the two have anything to do with each other.

I can't make sense of them either or figure out the point.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Seriously just going to talk to myself to have an educated conversation.

Right, no, I'm fine with maths, thanks for the concern.
    It's seems you either don't understand English, or are deliberately misconstruing what I'm posting to have a cheap dig.
    I'll say it a different way, see if it goes in.
    I understand that 1kg is more than 1lb. I understand that 1g per 1kg is a different amount to 1g per 1lb. The point I was attempting to make is that, it's not 1g to 1lb (.45kg), or 1kg (2.2lb) (HINT: it doesn't matter which one it is in regards to the point of my post) of body weight, but 1g to 'blah' of LEAN body weight and the word lean being omitted from the equation, if you like.
    I then quoted an article that said no one needs more than 0.82g per whatever it was, it was a separate post, which I thought may have been of use to someone. Nothing to do with my first post - it wasn't a follow up.
    I hope that's clear as mud.

Insults poster as possibly doesn't understand English, then goes on to mangle the English language.

Brilliant.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I could ask you the same question. What's been the point of any of your replies towards me, other than to try to irritate me?

Because per LEAN<- read this word! LEAN. Not g per lb of mass, g per lean lb of mass. Why is it so hard to grasp?

Because YOU used the term 'broscience', which in the context of these forums is a derogatory term.