Cholesterol

Options
Tamby2013
Tamby2013 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
My cholesterol is always way over, what regular food can I be eating to do that?

Replies

• louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    What that increase your cholesterol?

Red meat, cheese, deli meats, anything fried or greasy. Butter, margarine?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Tamby2013 wrote: »
    My cholesterol is always way over, what regular food can I be eating to do that?

Do you actually have a medical reason to worry about it?

Dietary cholesterol is pretty negligible when it comes to blood serum cholesterol.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat. That's what. Try reducing consumption of fatty meats, cheese, added oils and fatty foods in general etc and check it again in 2-3 months. If you're overweight, then losing weight and increasing exercise will help as well but lowering dietary fat will be a good first step.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If You Don't Have Any Health Concerns Directly Linked To High Cholesterol, I Wouldn't Worry About It Entirely Too Much. But Eggs, Red Meats, Cheeses, Oils Etc...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,468 Member
    Options

Do you mean that your cholesterol consumption is way over your goal? Or that your blood cholesterol is way over normal?

You seem to have gotten answers to both questions above, though I'm inferring that from what they said.

Seems to be increasing evidence that high dietary cholesterol doesn't necessarily lead to high blood cholesterol, so that might be the "don't worry" side of things, if you don't have a medical condition.

If your blood cholesterol is high, then losing weight is probably the biggest help, plus lotsa good fruits/veggies and less sat fat, as others have suggested.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Too much saturated fat.
    I was making many mistakes.
    Even eating two avocados the day before a cholesterol test raised my numbers.
    I stopped using so much olive oil an butter.
    I fell for the snake oil that eating a lot of fat was good for your health.

- Having trouble cutting down my chocolate habit - lots of sat fat.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Can the saturated fat / cholesterol myth please die now???? There is no link (exception for a very tiny percentage of humans).

If you feel like you have to lower your blood cholesterol, exercise and weight loss is the key.
  • richieZavaleta
    richieZavaleta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian and I am 43. I've been eating fruit, oatmeal, nuts, but not perfect. I have tons of cooked food too. My serum cholesteral is low at 143. I am sceptical of people who tell you that dietary cholesteral is fine. There are studies which have participants eat eggs then lay off of them. They were able to show serum cholesteral going up as dietary cholesteral went up. But cholesteral and saturated fat hang out together anyways. Saturated friends and dietary cholesteral are notorious for a reason.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Obesity, inactivity and genetics have the biggest impact on cholesterol numbers. Increasing fiber and unsaturated fats can also help reduce your numbers (fish, nuts/legumes).
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    My total is 116
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You mean compared to the MFP goal? Quite likely eggs, but it doesn't matter. Dietary cholesterol is no longer believed to be a concern.

If you mean you have issues with your bodily cholesterol, that's a separate question, but that doesn't seem to me what you are asking about (and I'd defer first to your doctor, who will often want to try dietary means of controlling it).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Can the saturated fat / cholesterol myth please die now???? There is no link (exception for a very tiny percentage of humans).

If you feel like you have to lower your blood cholesterol, exercise and weight loss is the key.

I am not sure there is enough evidence to suggest that saturated fats don't have an impact. In many cases, the studies (such as many in the below thread) still have limitations on saturated fats around 10-15% of total calories. One study would even suggest that the source (dairy vs red meat vs other) could come into play. If anything, I wouldn't make it something I would stress as much as other factors (obesity and activity).

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10396286/afraid-of-animal-fats-and-cholesterol/p1
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to go fat free everything. I did that, and my bad cholesterol increased (despite losing 70 pounds). Then I said whatever and started eating more fat (around 60-70g a day, so I suppose it's not that much), and my cholesterol improved.

So let's say that I take the 'no saturated fat' thing with a grain of salt.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Too much saturated fat.

Both avocado and olive oil are primarily monounsaturated, are they not?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Too much saturated fat.

Both avocado and olive oil are primarily monounsaturated, are they not?

Yeah, olive oil is about 70% monounsaturated, 15% poly, 15% sat. Avocado is roughly the same.
  • lilfairy9
    lilfairy9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was recently told by my doctor after blood work that my cholesterol is too high and I need to go on a low fat/low cholesterol diet.

Does anyone have any good ideas beyond the general weight loss, no red meat, and chill on the eggs and dairy thing?

Maybe any place I can even get some good recipes?

I have a good multivitamin I can take, but I have to go back for blood work in a month to have them check again apparently.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lilfairy9 wrote: »
    I was recently told by my doctor after blood work that my cholesterol is too high and I need to go on a low fat/low cholesterol diet.

Does anyone have any good ideas beyond the general weight loss, no red meat, and chill on the eggs and dairy thing?

I have a good multivitamin I can take, but I have to go back for blood work in a month to have them check again apparently.

See that's the kind of doctor advice that I don't trust one bit...

But eat nuts and oatmeal too.
  • lilfairy9
    lilfairy9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I mean I have a fatty liver too so that has something to do with it, but it's so frustrating getting so many different forms of advice on what to do.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options

Personal story time and you probably shouldn't do this if your cholesterol is high because of genetics.

I had a cholesterol test and the LDL and triglycerides were a bit too high so I tested a theory. I started eating eggs....either one or two a day...without changing anything else in my diet other than the the calories in the eggs replacing the 100ish calories I was using on something carby or chocolately. My exercise didn't change either.

When I had another cholesterol test (maybe 7 months later), my LDL and triglycerides went down by 9 points.

I remember reading somewhere that the body produces cholesterol on its own when it doesn't get enough elsewhere (or something close to that) but, of course, don't have a link. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Personal story time and you probably shouldn't do this if your cholesterol is high because of genetics.

I had a cholesterol test and the LDL and triglycerides were a bit too high so I tested a theory. I started eating eggs....either one or two a day...without changing anything else in my diet other than the the calories in the eggs replacing the 100ish calories I was using on something carby or chocolately. My exercise didn't change either.

When I had another cholesterol test (maybe 7 months later), my LDL and triglycerides went down by 9 points.

I remember reading somewhere that the body produces cholesterol on its own when it doesn't get enough elsewhere (or something close to that) but, of course, don't have a link. :)

Yep, it does. Cholesterol is essential for us to live, like glucose, so if you don't consume enough you'll produce as much as you need (barring hypocholesterolemia).