How to lower intracellular/extracellular water retention

Options
I have tried water pills (prescribed by Dr.), drinking more water & limiting salt intake. Does anyone know of any other things to try to bring down water retention levels?? Dr. stated my intracellular level is to high. I have about 10lbs combined water that I'm suppose to get rid of.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Is this even a thing? The best way to hold on to water is to have a high sodium intake day after day. The best way to hold on to less water is to have a low sodium intake day after day. Do you take measures to control your sodium?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Muscles have to retain water in order to store glycogen ( energy source ). Glycogen is derived primarily from carbohydrates. Modifying your nutrition plan to lower carb intake ( ala Atkins, Keto, Primal, etc ) would help you reduce and control your water retention caused/related to glycogen storage.

Nutritionists have made claims that poor diet, specifically vitamin deficiencies, can also lead to water retention. A few medical studies of specific vitamins seem to bear this out. Considering you can get a good multi-vitamin for < 5 cents a dose, there isn't really any reason not to take one if you aren't currently, it may help.

Lastly, make sure you are getting some level of physical activity at least 3x a week, for a minimum of 30 mins a session.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What are you taking, HCTZ? When did you start taking it?
  • Nana_Angie
    Nana_Angie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Jerome, yes I have started to control my sodium intake. It's been 3 weeks & so far no change. Thank you for your comment.

MissusMoon, the Dr. Has only stated that after one more month of trying the water pill, if it doesn't work he wants me to be "wrapped" at an edema clinic. Everything I stated that I have tried has been from the Dr's recommendations. I was just asking to see if anyone else has run into this kind of problem & what has worked for them.

Thank you PMM, I actually do everything that you mentioned EXCEPT for the 30 minute 3X a week physical activity...haven't made it to 30 minutes of anything....I have increased to 15 min of cardio daily. Maybe if I can continue to increase my time I can hopefully see a difference.

Zipp, I started taking Furosemide 20mg April 15.

Thank you all for your help & support!

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nana_Angie wrote: »
    Jerome, yes I have started to control my sodium intake. It's been 3 weeks & so far no change. Thank you for your comment.

MissusMoon, the Dr. Has only stated that after one more month of trying the water pill, if it doesn't work he wants me to be "wrapped" at an edema clinic. Everything I stated that I have tried has been from the Dr's recommendations. I was just asking to see if anyone else has run into this kind of problem & what has worked for them.

Thank you PMM, I actually do everything that you mentioned EXCEPT for the 30 minute 3X a week physical activity...haven't made it to 30 minutes of anything....I have increased to 15 min of cardio daily. Maybe if I can continue to increase my time I can hopefully see a difference.

Where's the edema occurring? In your lower legs and feet?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nana_Angie wrote: »

Do you have heart failure or other serious medical condition? Furosemide can be a big deal, and suggests serious edema.
  • Nana_Angie
    Options
    Snickerscharlie, I seem to have some edema in fingers, ankles/feet & face. Not a lot of swelling just some. Dr said the intracellular water is at level 40.1 & should be below 38.

Sabine, I do not have heart failure or any other serious medical condition.

I know this is strange but, the retention began after I started the weight loss journey. All of my levels & results were fine in the beginning (Feb). I think the Dr. is perplexed by this too.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Does the Furosemide make you pee a lot more? Does the edema fluctuate or remain constant?
  • Nana_Angie
    Options
    Shickercharlie, yes I feel like a two yr old going so much! No, it's not constant.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Is this even a thing? The best way to hold on to water is to have a high sodium intake day after day. The best way to hold on to less water is to have a low sodium intake day after day. Do you take measures to control your sodium?

The fluids of the body may be classified into two main divisions: the fluid within cells (intracellular fluid) and the fluid outside the cell (extracellular fluid). The extracellular fluid can be further divided into interstitial fluid, plasma, lymph, cerebrospinal fluid, and milk (in mammals).

• dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I would start by looking at your diet. Maybe you are consuming too many processed carbs which will cause water retention. Make sure you are getting adequate potassium and magnesium. Your electrolyte balance could be out of whack.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    http://study.com/academy/lesson/intracellular-fluid-definition-composition.html
    Good info here, but you have to sign up to read the whole thing, so I don't know if it has info on how to lower the intracellular fluid or not.
  • Nana_Angie
    Options
    Thanks for the info Marm & dmariet!
  • tinovillaro
    tinovillaro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have congested heart failure and is currently taking 40mg of Furosemide per day. I lost 20 lbs while admitted at the hospital taking lasix 2 times a day. I recall losing 2500ml of urine each session. Im instructed to increase my dosage if weight gain exceeds 4 lbs per day. The label recommends a maximum of 80mg per day while being monitored by a doctor. Maybe your dosage is too low? I take my pills before bed and basically go to the restroom at least 3-4 times a night. I'm on the road all day so taking these in the morning is not practical. Effects last 8 hours.