Tips to suppress appetite?

Options
Hey, there.
Do you guys have any tips to suppress appetite, without actually taking calories.
Anything physical or something?

I just started my weight loss, and my goal is to go from 59-50.
So advice and tips would be really appreciated. ❤️

Replies

• Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a tip or not...but usually more protein suppress my appetite. Like a 80 calorie Damon Greek yogurt has 12g of protein. It usually holds me over awhile
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cravings or appetite?
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Drinking water only, eating small amounts of food frequently throughout the day and eating fibrous foods helps me. Eating breakfast is big because I'll get too hungry later if I don't.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey, there.
    Do you guys have any tips to suppress appetite, without actually taking calories.
    Anything physical or something?

I just started my weight loss, and my goal is to go from 59-50.
    So advice and tips would be really appreciated. ❤️

Best thing I've found so far is to infuse lemon and lime slices in water (usually about 1/5 a lemon and/or lime per 500mL) and drink that throughout the day. It's bitter and takes some getting used to, but I do notice a significant change in my appetite when I do with or without (less appetite with, more appetite without).
  • xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Carbonated water. Wayy more filling than regular water and still 0 cal.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Most of the time my hunger is actually me being thirsty.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I heavily reduced my sugar intake to where I can't eat most sweet things. That seemed to cut my appetite by 20-25% but I have no scientific backing as to why, so take that with a grain of salt. I also made sure I met the 0.8g/lb for protein intake on most days.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    In addition to increasing protein, you may want to try increasing vegetables, especially fibrous veggies. You can get a lot of volume for very few calories.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hot drinks, especially really savoury ones, like broth or black coffee work wonders for me.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    Cravings or appetite?

I think this is an important distinction. Appetite is good, it's crucial to survival, don't try to mess with it. If you're hungry, you need food, eat. If you've eaten enough, but you still want to eat (solely for pleasure) you can distract yourself. Getting in a good eating structure (regular meals at more or less set times) can help you create habits and provide you with good nutrition, which makes it easier to stick to a reasonable calorie intake.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    But why try to suppress the appetite all? Why not learn the differences (especially in the beginning) between thirst, hunger and appetite. I am saying this in lieu of there is no binging disorder or behavior going on that warrants a complete behavior change, etc

This way you can give your body what it wants optimally to keep you nutritional and energy balanced through the day. Then you can learn the specifics about what you want to eat at various times through out the day and how to stay hydrated and still stay in your goals..

Why purposefully shut down the body's signals. This is a lifetime process yo will not be wanting to suppress the appetite when you are done dieting..

I get wanting to stay fuller between meals and higher protein and good healthy fats at each meal/snack will do that!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

This
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Things like raspberry ketones, green tea capsules, fat burners, any mlm product including shakes, dodgy diets like the so called mitary diet all not scientifically proven to do what they claim and sometimes have deadly consequences
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Drinking plenty of water
    Chewing gum
    Drinking herbal tea/coffee "with no sugar/calorie free sweetner"
    Doing something you enjoy, for me it was listening to music :smiley:
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of eating piles of fresh veggies throughout the day. Stating hydrated too.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a bunch when I was bored or thirsty. I got myself a really nice water bottle, and sip from it regularly. I also took up knitting, and now have a job where I'm almost always typing or talking. Never ever underestimate the powers of being properly hydrated, especially in the summertime. Not certain about you, but where I am, it's gotten really hot over the past week, and staying hydrated as helped me a bunch.
    If you find yourself still craving something, especially sweets, but don't want to go over on your calories, a protein shake in your favorite flavor can help. Don't be afraid to give into cravings now and then, that's part of eating balanced. Honestly though, you're just starting out, so don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Drinking green tea.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I agree with @diannethegeek on everything she said. One of the biggest things for me has been making sure that I "spend" my calories wisely. Eat foods that give you more "filling" (protein, fat, fiber, simple mass) for your calorie buck. I was having yogurt and a banana for breakfast (210 calories), and I switched to having 2 slices of bacon, 1 fried egg, and a half serving of grits (255 calories). Still a sensible breakfast, but FAR more filling. That and cutting out this really rich cheese I was having at lunch, in favor of a larger piece of chicken, has made huge differences. I'm no longer starving by dinner time, and when I am a little hungry mid-day, it's easily satiated by a 100 calorie bag of popcorn.

The other thing is that I had to learn to listen to my body's cues. I used to often ignore the "full" feeling, and keep eating just because my food tasted good. Doing that stretches your stomach out, and it takes more to feel full. When you start eating reasonable amounts of food, there's an adjustment period while your body gets used to it, but after that it really helps to listen when your stomach says it's full and STOP EATING.