Weight loss has levelled off after 20 days...help!

Options
Hello gang, I'm new to this forum so go easy with me please :smile:

Frustrated!! In the last week, I don't seem to have lost any weight at all and I want to keep losing every single week - even if its just a pound.

As a very active & sporty 46 year old (football 2-3 times per week, running at least once a week and cycling 3 times a week - all for minimum of 60 mins each time), can anyone give me some tips to kick start the weight loss again please?

I'm regularly under my calorie intake (even before factoring in exercising), and I've massively changed my eating habits - I reckon I eat a really healthy diet but I need to kick on from here.

Do you think resistance training is the way to go or more sedate exercise - walking, long slow cycling etc?

Cheers and thanks in advance!! :wink:

Neil

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes off in spurts, keep going!! Are you close to your goal weight? Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    1. Weight loss isn't linear. Stay the course.
    2. If you aren't already, weigh your food with a digital food scale that measures in grams.
  • neiltomo
    neiltomo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'm nearly half way to my target so well on the way but finish line not in sight yet. I must admit that I haven't been weighing my food so maybe that is where I'm going wrong....thank you, I'll try that!!

Any thoughts on exercising. I'm quite hardcore into my fitness but I think i'm doing stuff that is too high intensity....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you love what you do regarding the exercise? Yes? Then go crazy! Get a food scale, eye opening.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    neiltomo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! I'm nearly half way to my target so well on the way but finish line not in sight yet. I must admit that I haven't been weighing my food so maybe that is where I'm going wrong....thank you, I'll try that!!

Any thoughts on exercising. I'm quite hardcore into my fitness but I think i'm doing stuff that is too high intensity....

I jog 3 to 5 miles a day. To me, it really helps
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    1. Food scale
    2. I'd love to lose every week but sadly it doesn't work like that.

Keep going. Good luck :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It will be okay. Sometimes this happens. You may take off fat only to have your body temporarily hold onto water, showing no loss on the scale. If this persists for like a month, recheck your logging and weighing, and switch up your exercise routine to give your body a new challenge.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Strength training is always a good idea but has nothing to do with weight loss really. That's about what goes in your mouth.

BUT, one week is nothing and it sounds like you don't have much to lose so changes on the scale may be masked very easily by temporary water weight.

Make sure your logging is tight and just be consistent, the results will come.
  • neiltomo
    neiltomo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the good advice!!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    1. Food scale
    2. I'd love to lose every week but sadly it doesn't work like that.

Keep going. Good luck :)

Yep this. I lose a few and then maintain or even bloat up water weight and then drop a whole bunch. It definitely is not always fluid. I still consider my loses in the last couple months steady but two of the last 7 weeks were no loss or even small gains.