A question of consistency?

Options
So i have been at this a while with reasonable success but may have noticed a trend. On weeks when i eat maybe 1600 per day i see a drop in weight but on weeks where I may "pig out" on 2 days with 3000 calories (thats 2400 over) and make that up by eating only 1100 for the next 5 days I see a gain, or only a small loss. Theres no logic to it as the weekly total should be the same. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight from excess sodium/carbs on your pig out days, especially if you're logging everything accurately
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    When you "pig out" you may be consuming food that is high in sodium. That will cause you to retain water and can mask loss. Also consider this--2400 hundred over for two days is enough to gain over a pound of fat. Your body is going to add and lose fat on it's own schedule, it's not perfectly linear at all.

This is why I don't do cheat days. It takes the guesswork out of things. I haven't had to deal with the water and/or fat gains.
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I once googled how long does it take for your body to turn unused calories into fat. I believe it said it only takes as little as four hours and up to do it. Maybe you could try your best not to eat over your goal more than one day instead of 2 days in a row. You know, spread it out a little and make up for it with a little extra exercise and cutting back the next day. So regardless if the answer I found is true or not, wouldn't hurt to try
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Also, I agree with MissusMoon about the sodium.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have cheat day but reasonable and rarely that far over. I try to aim for that day to go no more than 2500 calories. Unless I'm near my cycle start I usually have a great loss despite that larger calorie day. I also try to time them for a day I do a good amount of resistance training(lifting pretty heavy) so as many of those calories are used up repairing muscles. Cheat day is also weigh in day after the morning weight check. Well usually it's not full cheat day, it's cheat dinner day. ;)