Burning more calories during period?

Options
st476
st476 Posts: 357 Member
I read (in multiple places) that when we're on our period, we burn 100-300 more calories/day and that's why most women have an increase in appetite. I'm pretty sure it's just hormonal, so I'm not sure how true this is.

Has anyone else heard that before? Do you think it's true?

The website I read it on is http://greatist.com/live/hungry-during-period

Replies

• beccahbase
    beccahbase Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes! The shedding of your uterine wall burns an extra 100-300 calories. I read that that is the cause of most cravings. Plus there may be as much as a 9% increase in metabolic rate during our cycles.
    http://www.thewellpath.com/news/why-do-i-get-so-hungry-before-and-during-my-period/
    http://watchfit.com/diet/burn-calories-period/
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,566 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I didn't know that. But what if you take the pill? I do notice a light water weight increase when I go for a stop week, which I do rarely, but no more hunger.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Considering all the extra work that our uterus is doing, I don't see why not, I just don't think it really makes a huge difference in the end.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes, but remember, 100-300 calories is a snack or light meal and it's impossible to measure that burn.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Yes, but remember, 100-300 calories is a snack or light meal and it's impossible to measure that burn.

We could invent a uterus FitBit...

OP, I hadn't heard this before, but personally I eat the fridge the week before, so if this is true, it's really just natures built in balance for me. :frowning:

A uterus Fitbit... Lol!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I am both starving the week of my cycle and exhausted. I require way more sleep then normal and I get sooooo hungry. At least I'm burning something extra. :neutral:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    scoii wrote: »
    My gf is noticbly warmer when her angry clone comes to stay. Whether it justifies the chocolate brownies is a different issue, I don't question it though

Good boy :lol:
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »

We could invent a uterus FitBit...

OP, I hadn't heard this before, but personally I eat the fridge the week before, so if this is true, it's really just natures built in balance for me. :frowning:

A uterus Fitbit... Lol!

It should count towards one's daily steps. :p
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry before i actually get my period. Two /three days before,I feel like i want to eat everything and nothing satisfies me. Luckily now i recognize that i feel this way because i will be getting my period in the days to come. After it comes, my appetite returns to normal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,566 Member
    Options
    I am both starving the week of my cycle and exhausted. I require way more sleep then normal and I get sooooo hungry. At least I'm burning something extra. :neutral:

Oh gosh, I do remember that! I'm so glad I'm taking the pill: no more of that, and TOM when I decide (maybe 3-4x per year).
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    So, basically, you're saying that I wasn't irrational when I absolutely HAD to have that ramen tonight?