Low carb alternatives

Options
tanya_03
tanya_03 Posts: 14 Member
I have only been back on MFP For a few days after a long overdue absence, but...

I seem to keep going over on my carb allowance... any suggestions/alternatives? Thank you!

Replies

• taubut
    taubut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This may seem obvious, but don't eat breads.
  • tanya_03
    Options
    Thank you, I do try and always go for the wholemeal option, I avoid potatoes or swap them for sweet potatoes already... hope this is right?
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What is your carb allowance?
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What is your carb allowance? Without knowing what carbs you are eating, makes it hard to give you alternatives.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How many fruits a day are you eating?
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of guidance you are really looking for, but the only way to reduce your carb intake is to reduce your portions (duh, right?). I'm not a fan of "substitutes" in the style of using cauliflower for pizza crust etc. However, there are many options of thin-sliced breads, flat-breads or sandwich thins that you can use in place of standard bread slices that will be about half of the carbs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    tanya_03 wrote: »
    Thank you, I do try and always go for the wholemeal option, I avoid potatoes or swap them for sweet potatoes already... hope this is right?

Whole wheat bread has about the same amount of carbs as other breads.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    You must remember that mfp counts all carbs in their allowance- not just bread pasta potatoes etc- so they count your fruits and veggies too. Are you going over your total calorie allowance- Are you in a calorie deficit?- look at your whole allowance- if you are eating healthy- you may need to change your carb allowance on this site- I changed mine to 50% carbs, 25 fat, 25 protein and I started to lose weight- I need and love more veggies- but i still eat under my total calorie allowance- I am a really slow loser-.5 every two weeks or now and then a pound a week- just keep trying
  • tanya_03
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I completely forgot about my fruit and veggies having carbs! I do have a banana a day and another fruit, and I try to have two veggies with every meal (usually broccoli, spinach, carrots, peas or sweetcorn). I am on a calorie deficit at the moment as I am trying to lose weight and MFP has set up my daily carbs as 156, thank you!