Does hunger get better after dieting for a few weeks?

Options
2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ^Great hunger scale, @rainbowbow ! Thanks for posting that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    I have heard it over and over how hunger can be confused with dehydration, and it wasn't until I started upping my water and decaf tea at night that I believed it. Try increasing fluids, see if that helps.

Another thought along these lines: for many people a lack of sleep can lead to feeling hungrier, as your body is trying to compensate by grabbing quick energy from food. I tend to go to the caffeine in the short term, but find eating well easier when I try to get enough sleep.

(I routinely get too little, but have been doing particularly poorly over the past few weeks and I can really tell the difference, ugh.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Taleatia wrote: »
    I've maintained a 40lb loss for about 3 years, and got there by eating around 1600 calories per day (after much research this is the number I came up with). I've put 7 pounds back on and am have gone back to 1500-1600 calories per day to lose it (plus the last 5 pounds or so I've been struggling with).

I'm eating high protein, tons of veggies, lots of water, whole foods and fiber but 3 days in I'm still SO HUNGRY. Like, can't focus on much else hungry. Even right after meals. For most of the day.

My question is: does it get better? I dimly remember feeling a little less hungry after a few weeks of caloric deficit. Have other people found this to be the case?

what about dietary fat? dietary fat is satiating.
  • Chilena69
    Chilena69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I felt hungry every day for about 2-3 weeks, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stick with it. But one day, I just stopped feeling so hungry. My new diet was enough to keep me satisfied. I agree with lemurcat12...lack of sleep can really mess with your hunger. I make poor food choices when I'm tired.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm basically always hungry at a deficit, even when I'm getting plenty of fat, protein and fiber.

I've switched to IF, eating between noon and 10pm and made peace with the feeling of hunger before lunch.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i just decreased my calories and find i am annoyed by how hungry i am. i am hoping it goes away soon. last night after dinner i had to skip my tea (with cream and sugar that would add up to 80 calories and usually sates me for the last few hours before bed) and i was SOOOO irritated (perhaps sugar withdrawls?). i brushed my teeth and was still hungry and annoyed. going to budget better today so i can fit it in tonight! let me know how it goes as far as when you stop being so hungry!!!!! *grumble grumble grumble*
  • Taleatia
    Taleatia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    drewchiu1 wrote: »
    You are 40 lbs lighter than previous and if you have been exercising, that also means you have increased your lean muscle mass. In order to give some options, you will need to look at you current BF, your activity level and your nutrition intake.

This is a great point! I've been doing 2-3 days per week of heavy lifting for the past 8 months and have wondered if some of the extra weight could be muscle? I'm oddly stronger and fitter than I've ever been despite the extra few pounds. I'm more solid but my clothes are tight. It's all very confusing.

I body fat test with calipers and haven't seen any significant difference but I also don't know if I'm good enough at working the calipers yet for to trust my results. I did use a calculator that took lean mass and activity level into account.

These are all really helpful responses. I think at first I'll try shifting some calories into meals and out of snacks (closer to the 3 squares per day idea). If that doesn't help maybe I'll give IF a go for a week or two.
  • nati0000
    nati0000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it gets better. I was hungry and angry all the time at the beginning. After 20 days it got better. Now when I am hungry I am eating an apple or grapefruit, drink some water and it keeps me going to my next meal. I found that I feel better eating less but more often. Something that I have never done before diet. The most of calories I use for breakfast ( first meal of my day, time depends on my shifts) but that's because of my job.
    It's getting easier, believe me.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My first two weeks were really hard. I was so hungry it was painful. But I worked out my eating plan so I was able to manage it and then I just decided that it was nothing more than pain and since I can handle a lot of pain I can handle this too. Once I stopped letting the pain rule my brain it started to back off and I have been noticing that I don't really feel more than a little hungry from time to time now.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm snacky every now and then, but I think I can count the times I've been really hungry in the past six months on two hands (I eat around 1300 calories a day). I found that what works for me is shifting my meal times a little. I usually have breakfast around 10:30 (I get up around 7:45 and get to work at 9, and I am really not hungry until around 10:30), lunch around 3, and dinner when I come home from work/gym (around 7pm). I do have little AM/PM snacks between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner though (prunes, yogurt, crisp bread, something along those lines). OP, maybe something along those lines would work for you?
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Taleatia wrote: »
    drewchiu1 wrote: »
    You are 40 lbs lighter than previous and if you have been exercising, that also means you have increased your lean muscle mass. In order to give some options, you will need to look at you current BF, your activity level and your nutrition intake.

This is a great point! I've been doing 2-3 days per week of heavy lifting for the past 8 months and have wondered if some of the extra weight could be muscle? I'm oddly stronger and fitter than I've ever been despite the extra few pounds. I'm more solid but my clothes are tight. It's all very confusing.

I body fat test with calipers and haven't seen any significant difference but I also don't know if I'm good enough at working the calipers yet for to trust my results. I did use a calculator that took lean mass and activity level into account.

These are all really helpful responses. I think at first I'll try shifting some calories into meals and out of snacks (closer to the 3 squares per day idea). If that doesn't help maybe I'll give IF a go for a week or two.

Some of the extra weight could definitely be muscle. Keep in mind that muscle is denser than fat, so a pound of fat will take up more space than a pound of muscle.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    #1. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. #2. It helps me to spread my meals out. For breakfast I'll have a protein shake at 8, hard boiled egg at 9, yogurt at 10 and fruit at 11. Then bam, it's lunch time.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It definitely went away for me :).

It also really helped to observe and work around the times of day I most need to eat. I played with meal size as well.

Eating 1500-1700 most days, this is what works for me on a typical work day (working 7-3:30):

- breakfast 6:30am (1 slice of toast with Laughing Cow cheese and cucumber slices, and a banana. And coffee #1)

- snack 9-10am (granola bar approx 160 cals)

- coffee #2

- lunch anywhere between 12:30 and 2 (typically a sandwich with lean meat, or a homemade tuna wrap. With a greek yogurt cup, 100 or more calories of fruit, and a string cheese)

- dinner 6ish (TONS of roasted veg, a lean meat, and salad. Sometimes 100g cooked rice)

- small snack before bed (Oreos, or an ice cream bar maybe)

This is the most effective formula to keep my hunger at bay and my energy up. It took a lot of experimenting to nail down though.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "hungry"? If you are actually physically hungry, then go ahead and eat!
  • LoveEpifanie
    LoveEpifanie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do an intermittent fasting type diet: skip breakfast and eat between 12pm and 9pm. Only reason is I'm super hungry at night if I eat breakfast and run low on calories.

This is what I do as well. It's a lot easier to not eat in the morning than feeling like I'm hungry while trying to go to sleep. Also, I feel like I can tell more when I am actually hungry vs when it is a craving.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    [

Also, I feel like I can tell more when I am actually hungry vs when it is a craving.

That's a great ability! Congratulations!