Cardio or strength training. Pick a side!

Options

Replies

• chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hate cardio, so weights for me!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    I love running, but want to add strength training. Not sure where to start. Just do an abs/core class once a week for now and sore after almost every class...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You can start with one of these. StrongCurves seems to be popular with women.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do both just to mix things up a bit. Although, right now I like doing cardio more as I just had major surgery 6 weeks ago and find it easier to do cardio than lifting. I suspect that will change once my core muscles have healed enough to where I am able to lift heavy like I did before.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    I love running, but want to add strength training. Not sure where to start. Just do an abs/core class once a week for now and sore after almost every class...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You can start with one of these. StrongCurves seems to be popular with women.

Thanks for posting this link. :) I was looking for other lifting programs to try instead of Stronglifts 5x5 until my core muscles have healed up enough to do the deadlifts and OHP again with good form that is included in the 5x5 program.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Weight training, but I Iike curcuit training when I want to keep my heart rate elevated.
  • juliafitchick
    juliafitchick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Iam all about them weights (them weight) no treadmill
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    100% strength training. Hitting PRs is an exhilarating feeling. Most traditional forms of cardio are boring to me. I'd prefer to take up a sport and have that be my cardio for the day.

Plus, strength training gives me shape and muscles are attractive. :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i dislike cardio as in treadmill (running in general) but i love swimming, riding my bike, hiking ect. okay so i just hate running.
    love strength training.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    There is no side to pick. They are equally important for a well rounded regimen.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    For cardio I really enjoy jogging/walking outside. I try to do it outside as often as I can but during extreme weather I will go to the gym for it, the treadmill is so boring though so I try to do 5 minutes extreme jogging and then some kind of dumbbell cycle to keep it interesting. On my non cardio days I'll try and do either yoga or calisthenics. I like doing both cardio and strength.
  • bmj2015
    bmj2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do both, but if I was forced to pick I would absolutely (!!!) choose strength training. This is the #1 thing that has helped me "look good naked", as you put it.

I actually think diet + strength training + walking is a recipe for success! (The only reasons I do any vigorous cardio is because I sometimes enjoy it, and sometimes I want to eat a little more.)
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So I'm pretty new to the fitness pal site. I've gotta say, I'm surprised how much I'm burning from just walking my foster dog. I'm averaging around 500 calories a day from walking. I'm trying not to eat all my exercise calories, just because there's no way to know exactly how many I burn exercising . I'm given 1200, I burn about 500 from walking and another estimated 300-400 from weight lifting. I try to eat 1500-1600.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A few posters have offered suggestions on cardio that are fun. Part of my problem is my foot injury. I Can't jump, bend my foot or apply heavy pressure to my foot. my doctor actually said biking for cardio is too much due to the applied pressure. Walking a lot actually hurts my foot. I take ibuprofen and it helps

This is just so depressing!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Both, the best way to get the best level of health is to ensure that you are improving your body as a whole and not just focusing on one thing.

5x5sl - Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Cardio - Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

Rest - Sunday

This is my current routine, while training for a 70 mile run at the start of July.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do both.

Always have. for the first 3 years I mainly did strength training with Stronglifts 5x5 and 5/3/1 and after I quit smoking I added in running and now I lift 4x a week and walk at least 20miles a week and as soon as the bikes are tended to we will be biking and I might run again this summer who knows...

They compliment each other very well actually...weights helps with muscle endurance for runs/rides and runs/rides help with the breathing while lifting...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Don't make me choose sides.. I just cannot do it and one with out the other is like drinking chocolate milk without the chocolate!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Why can't we all just get along!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    srsly for me...

bulking = zero cardio lots of lifting
    cutting = 3 cardio sessions per week + lots of lifting
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i am an absolute self-proclaimed cardio junkie. I'm a runner, and i love getting sweaty. Absolutely nothing better than the feeling of being drenched in sweat and so satisfied after a nice long run. Plus, i love to eat.