Sugar Intake

Options
How can I be eating too much sugar? I don't eat any refined sugar and get most my sugar from fresh fruit such as apples and canalope which I had today. According to this site one large apple is 22 under the sugar column and I'm only allowed 24 in sugar on a 1200 calorie diet. With two pieces of fruit, they amount to over 40. I though two pieces of fruit was the right amount for a balanced diet. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have this problem every day! I don't eat any refined sugar either. But I eat all the fruit I want. My sugar intake is always way over. Unfortunately you can't customize the actual grams of a particular component. This is too bad because I'm also way over on fiber-which I'm aiming for.

To heck with 24 grams of sugar. If you are eating natural, whole foods and a balanced diet, then FUH-GET-UH-BOUT-IT!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the individaul columns... Under your goals or settings select "custom". (I forget exactly how)

I had the same problem (some summer days I feel like a "fruititarian".) I adjusted my fibre to 25 grams a day, and removed the sugar column.

Sugar attached to fiber metabolizes differently. A nutritionist friend said to take the sugar grams and subtract the fiber grams, this equals the actual sugar in something.

Let's hear it for natural, whole foods!!
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When my wife was pregnant our doctor said that one piece of fruit or one small class of 100% pure juice is all a person should have each day. My wife gained a lot of weight eating good for you fruit. Instead we eat avocados, unsalted almonds and raw veggies.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my sugar intake to closely maybe I should. However if you go to Home then change goals and custom. You can change the percentages and other things you are watching to fit what you need them to be. I personally have lowered my fat and carbs. Raised my fiber. So I watch the calories, fat and fiber. I am not sure if this will help you but I have found it very helpful to customize for my needs.

Eve
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue except its with sodium. EVERYTHING has sodium in it. Anything prepared anyway. I can't live my life solely on rabbit food and bland meat. Not to mention the cost of fresh organic food and I dont have much time to prepare my own meals. I take the smart ones/lean cuisine route for lunch often and that sodium just adds up before you know it. How can I cut my sodium intake without losing all the flavor? :/
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected folks on the "changing your intake goals" statement! I swear I couldn't find it before:)Yeah!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    tina5877,

Sodium isn't necessarily bad, unless you have been told by your doctor to restrict it.

I had my yearly physical two weeks ago and discussed my participation in this program. She did say something that I have not heard before - that increased water, up to the level of the 10 eight ounce glasses I have been drinking forever, can sometimes lead to low sodium counts. I've never had that problem, so I sort of ignored her when she said "Drink when you're thirsty."

It's another controversy ! Here's a good link:

http://www.qualitycounts.com/fpsodium.html

~cm
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I also have to remember that not all sugar is created equal. This app can't read the difference between natural sugar and refined. If all yours is from natural resources then don't worry so much about it. Just don't eat 3 apples a day or much more in excess.

Uhm... what?
    There is nothing wrong with ANY form of sugar. It all comes from the same place, natural or refined, the body doesn't know the difference and if you have no medical conditions then eating more then 3 apples is not excess and won't do anything to you. Anything within your calories is fine.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I also have to remember that not all sugar is created equal. This app can't read the difference between natural sugar and refined. If all yours is from natural resources then don't worry so much about it. Just don't eat 3 apples a day or much more in excess.

Much like the app, your body can't tell the difference between natural and refined sugar.

And this thread is over 10 years old.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Your body can't tell the difference between the sugars either
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    New user discovered "Search". Good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

The benefits of fruits is all the fiber and antioxidants.... not really the sugar. In a general sense, all sugars are fairly processed the same, whether its from fruit or candy. The difference is how fast its processed and in the case of fructose, where (processed in the lover vs intestines).

Op, if you arent diabetocs or insulin resistant, id switch the sugar category to fiber.. fiber is much more important, especially if your sugar is coming from whole sources.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

The benefits of fruits is all the fiber and antioxidants.... not really the sugar. In a general sense, all sugars are fairly processed the same, whether its from fruit or candy. The difference is how fast its processed and in the case of fructose, where (processed in the lover vs intestines).

Op, if you arent diabetocs or insulin resistant, id switch the sugar category to fiber.. fiber is much more important, especially if your sugar is coming from whole sources.

OP hasn't posted in more than 10 years ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

OP hasn't posted in more than 10 years ;)

Hope she gets the message lol.
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar is that bad. I eat loads from natural AND unnatural sources and I am in better health than ever before. Sometimes you just have to perceive your reaction and then act upon your results, since we can be all be different in that respect. :)