Is this excessive or am I unevolved? Professionals please r

Options
2»

Replies

• johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    That particular schedule seems wacky to me, but thats just me. The time alloted for exercise is not necessarily crazy - if one has the time. If I didn't have to work I could easily see doing bike rides of two, three, four hours a day and strength training too. Not every day on the bike, but maybe a two or three hour trail run on alternating days. I know that HIIT is all the rage and it is good stuff, but I love long rides and runs. And throw in two or three swims each week. Hey, this is actually my dream life! Too bad I have to make a living.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Good at what? Overtraining? What is this persons goal of doing all these activities? Risk/Reward...Greater risk in training like that, then the reward you will get out of it.

Do you even know what overtraining is?

Plenty of people (including myself) can train for 3+ hours a day without the negative side effects of overtraining. And who are you to tell someone that there isn't reward in training hard for multiple hours a day? Don't be THAT guy who thinks that because you don't do something, other people shouldn't do it. Not all of us want your lifestyle, whatever that might be.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Do you have to exercise like that to be fit/healthy? NO. But that doesn't mean it's excessive. If I didn't have to spend 8 hours at work every day plus another hour driving, I'd probably be doing 2-3 hours of exercise (in some form) a day, because I like how it makes me feel. It DOES concern me that you say that person doesn't eat much - if you're going to exercise that much, you need to properly fuel your body... but the amount of exercise in of itself is not necessarily concerning. Just to emphasize - that doesn't mean everyone should exercise that much - it's very much an individual preference... but if you have the time and the desire and you do it in a healthy way, then why not?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine doing 3.5 hours! I did two hour today and I'm ready to die.

But hey, to each their own.
  • StrengthCoach0702
    StrengthCoach0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    They arent using this time to play a sport or activity. They are using it for high impact activity. All 3 hours of high impact activity, 7 days a week for a regular joe is absolutely over training. Even athletes leave a day for rest. Youre using yourself as an example after telling me that I shouldnt base this on my own training protocol, after I havent even stated what that may be.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    They arent using this time to play a sport or activity. They are using it for high impact activity. All 3 hours of high impact activity, 7 days a week for a regular joe is absolutely over training. Even athletes leave a day for rest. Youre using yourself as an example after telling me that I shouldnt base this on my own training protocol, after I havent even stated what that may be.

You said:

"Why someone would train for 3 hours a day if they were not an athlete is beyond me. Just move for 45-75 minutes a day and you'll be ahead of 85% of the population."

If you're referring specifically to the example in the original post, you're also wrong there since Tae Bo and tramponline work are not high impact. Even if it was, there are plenty of people who run marathons who do far more impact than that anyway. If you're not referring to the original post then you couldn't possibly be more wrong. Also, if exercise isn't a sport or an activity, what classification would you give it? If it's not an activity then I'm not sure what an activity is.......

Also, no one cares what your own training protocol is, just like no one cares what my training protocol is. The problem is that you're making broad statements which are false. Like I said, plenty of people can train 3+ hours a day without experiencing the effects of overtraining.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

You said:

"Why someone would train for 3 hours a day if they were not an athlete is beyond me. Just move for 45-75 minutes a day and you'll be ahead of 85% of the population."

If you're referring specifically to the example in the original post, you're also wrong there since Tae Bo and tramponline work are not high impact. Even if it was, there are plenty of people who run marathons who do far more impact than that anyway. If you're not referring to the original post then you couldn't possibly be more wrong. Also, if exercise isn't a sport or an activity, what classification would you give it? If it's not an activity then I'm not sure what an activity is.......

Also, no one cares what your own training protocol is, just like no one cares what my training protocol is. The problem is that you're making broad statements which are false. Like I said, plenty of people can train 3+ hours a day without experiencing the effects of overtraining.

During the peak of my training, I will be at a 40 mile week running alone. 2 runs @ 50 minutes, 2 runs @ 100 or so minutes and 1 run @ 4 hours. I'm not paid. It will not be overtraining because I will have built my body up to do so. This does not include any time I will spend walking, biking at the gym, doing yoga, or weight training, etc. And running is considered high impact. I do it because I love it. I do it because it enables me to not only run marathons, but to run them faster and faster every time I try. And I add the extra exercise in there because, cross training and my other activities make me a stronger runner.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    OK. Thanks everyone for responding. Super interesting and definitely food for thought. Much thought. Not much moving involved in thought, is there? By comparison [which I tend to avoid] I ... AM ... A ... SLUG. Bike for 4 hours straight? Run 100 minutes? I will admire you from a distance and try not to try to understand you. It kind of hurts.

Not much changes. I recall during my childhood wondering what on earth motivates people to get up and do things. Apparently, I'm still wondering. :ohwell:

I guess until I figure it out, I will continue to be the fat, mean cat that has no reason to run...unlike you slimcats that run for the fun of it...and just in case Rover comes along.

I just don't think I will ever 'get it', as I have to mentally beat myself with a stick to do the little regular physical activity I do [about 30 minutes a day], but the discussion was interesting.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • StrengthCoach0702
    StrengthCoach0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "If sufficient rest is not included in a training program then regeneration cannot occur and performance plateaus. If this imbalance between excess training and inadequate rest persists then performance will decline. Overtraining can best be defined as the state where the athlete has been repeatedly stressed by training to the point where rest is no longer adequate to allow for recovery. The “overtraining syndrome" is the name given to the collection of emotional, behavioral, and physical symptoms due to overtraining that has persisted for weeks to months. Athletes and coaches also know it as "burnout" or "staleness." This is different from the day-to-day variation in performance and post exercise tiredness that is common in conditioned athletes. Overtraining is marked by cumulative exhaustion that persists even after recovery periods." site= Mark Jenkins, MD Rice University Prof.

That is in Athletes. What do you think will happen to a non-athlete? The same thing, only faster. All training protocols include rest periods/tapering/de-loading so that progression can be attained. I agree with you, trampoline is not high impact, I was definitely generalizing the multiple activities. Using Marathoners as an example is probably not the best one you could use. Tapering is involved in training for Marathons. Marathoners also have a goal, to complete one, or to improve on their next marathon. Is the example's goal to keep improving on jumping on a trampoline, or Tai Bo-ing?
    I guess my gist was that I agree with the poster. Do all that stuff if it makes YOU happy, but don't recommend it to others who obviously don't have the same goals. In my humble opinion (that is all) I think all that is overkill for someone just trying to simply lose weight/feel fit.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun to me!

The person will be at a greater risk of injury and overtraining/overreaching than someone doing less, but if they are highly trained and properly fed, they'll be fine. Your body will let you know when it's time to rest by hurting or making you unconscious (by that, I mean falling asleep). :)