Foam roller and chest pain!

Options
So I was told by my chiro that I should try a foam roller for my lumbar degenerative disc, however I have noticed that when I use it up to my
Shoulders I end up with a chest pain/sore chest muscles- I am wondering if my roller is just to firm? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you probalby just aren't used to the movement and your body is doing things it hasn't done before. Go easy and give it time. Make sure you are doing it correctly, and do some chest and sholder stretches first. Also if you are using the foam roller directly on muscles , it can be painful
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is painful. It should not be extreme or stabbing, but the common description is that it hurts so good.
    Do as Sonya said, be careful, correct, and measured, but expect some level of discomfort.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you are 'opening' your chest when rolling your shoulders (if you'll pardon the yoga speak).

Does it feel like you've over strained or over stretched? If you're mostly feeling a stretch, it should go away as the muscles in your chest relax a little more. If it feels more like strain, go visit your doc with foam roller in hand to check positioning/technique.