How much protein do you really need?

Options
For building lean muscle mass, I've seen recommendations anywhere from 0.6 grams per pound of body weight to 1 or even 2 grams per pound of body weight. The latter seems very high, and even though it'll probably do the trick, unnecessary.

For someone like me -- female, about 117 lbs, I find it very hard to eat about 117 grams of protein per day. I usually end up having around 80. What is enough?

Replies

• Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Those estimates are pretty generous and don't take account of age or activity levels.
    You should also know that eating extra protein does not build muscles - the protein will simply be excreted in your faeces.
    If you are pooing every day and your hair is glossy, you are eating enough protein.
    The macros in MFP will give you a general indication of whether your protein intake is proportional to your calorie intake.
    If you want to build muscles you need to exercise and eat a healthy balanced diet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Recommendations vary - if you are NOT losing weight and ARE exercising then you are fine with anywhere from 0.7 - 1 g/lb of BW.

During weight loss to prevent LBM loss the recommendations go up to 1-1.5 g / lb of FFM for the energy-restricted resistance-trained LEAN athletes.*

(note that the first recommendation is for bodyweight calculation, the second is free fat mass or LBM).

References:
    Effect of protein intake on strength, body composition and endocrine changes in strength/power athletes. Hoffman JR, Ratamess NA, Kang J, Falvo MJ, Faigenbaum AD. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2006 Dec 13;3:12-8.
    Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weight lifters. Walberg JL, Leidy MK, Sturgill DJ, Hinkle DE, Ritchey SJ, Sebolt DR. Int J Sports Med. 1988 Aug;9(4):261-6.
    Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1992 Aug;73(2):767-75.
    Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass. Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1988 Jan;64(1):187-93.
    Dietary protein for athletes: From requirements to optimum adaptation. Phillips SM, Van Loon LJ. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 Suppl 1:S29-38.
    Protein and amino acid metabolism during and after exercise and the effects of nutrition. Rennie MJ, Tipton KD. Annu Rev Nutr. 2000;20:457-83.
    Hartman, J. W., Moore, D. R., & Phillips, S. M. (2006). Resistance training reduces whole-body protein turnover and improves net protein retention in untrained young males. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 31, 557–564.
    *A systematic review of dietary protein during caloric restriction in resistance trained lean athletes: a case for higher intakes. Helms ER1, Zinn C, Rowlands DS, Brown SR.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Recommendations vary - if you are NOT losing weight and ARE exercising then you are fine with anywhere from 0.7 - 1 g/lb of BW.

During weight loss to prevent LBM loss the recommendations go up to 1-1.5 g / lb of FFM for the energy-restricted resistance-trained LEAN athletes.*

(note that the first recommendation is for bodyweight calculation, the second is free fat mass or LBM).

This is exactly what I wanted to say.