Walking at amusement park tomorrow

Options
Tomorrow we are going to a park and will be walking all day, on and off rides..etc. Can I log that as my exercise, and if so...under what and how would I figure out the cals?

We won't be speed walking or anything...but walking nonetheless. LOL.

Replies

• JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Pedometers are really helpful.... and inexpensive too. :-)
  • healthychelsea
    Options
    I just write down everything in a journal. First I write down my calories, carbs, protein and fat total in it that MFP gave me and just subtract it from that. Or, you can plan your meals and bring them with you to make sure you don't overeat.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I usually figure 1/3 to 1/2 of the time is spent walking. I log it as 2.0 mph.
  • LynsyPai
    LynsyPai Posts: 1
    Options
    definitly. just put it under walking, but not brisk walking.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    When I ..amble..lol..like at the zoo..slow walk..lots of stops..I check the start time and the end time.. divide it by 2 and log the mins as 2mph...Ie I get to the Zoo at 9am and leave at 11am ..I log 60mins at 2mph = 204 cals for me. Might not be perfect but it works for me..LOL
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

this. i'd do 1/3.
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I ..amble..lol..like at the zoo..slow walk..lots of stops..I check the start time and the end time.. divide it by 2 and log the mins as 2mph...Ie I get to the Zoo at 9am and leave at 11am ..I log 60mins at 2mph = 204 cals for me. Might not be perfect but it works for me..LOL

This is great because we just got home from the zoo today and I logged my exercise and it told me I burned some outrageously high number of cals. I knew I couldn't have burned that much, but cutting it in half does make sense. Thanks!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I did this ^^ too when at Disney World - 1/2 time. I was there 3 days, ate a lot, but walked so much that I didn't gain an ounce.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My family and i just went to Adventure Island water park recently...and boy did we get our walkin in! My feet hurt so bad!... barefoot, on concrete for the majority of the day is NOT good...LOL I logged it under walking, lesurely. ALOT of cal's burned that day. This was my first time ever at a park that i made wise food choices too! I had a turkey wrap instead of a cheesesteak or cheeseburger. I was so proud of myself! Have fun & enjoy yourself!!!:flowerforyou:
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow we are going to a park and will be walking all day, on and off rides..etc. Can I log that as my exercise, and if so...under what and how would I figure out the cals?

We won't be speed walking or anything...but walking nonetheless. LOL.

I wouldn't count it. I'll tell you why. In order to really get a fat burning benefit from walking you have to get your HR up in to the 2nd training zone which is really about a brisk walk. If you're not there you are just burning normal calories which would be part of your BMR and thus eating more calories you think you're burning by all that walking you end up creating a calorie surplus not a deficit.
    Now, that said...if it's only 1 day I wouldn't even worry about it and just enjoy yourself. Throwing in a high calorie day once in a while (if you've been good for a while), will throw your metabolism into a higher gear.
    Just don't go to crazy....it's not a license to go overboard.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with eates. I usually count a portion of the day and then log it at 2.0.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

This sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Unfortunately, you can't take any outside food or drinks into the park, so I'll get a good breakfast at home and hope for the best the rest of the day in terms of eating! What a dumb rule, what do people with severe food allergies do who need to bring their own food, geez!
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. I'll tell you why. In order to really get a fat burning benefit from walking you have to get your HR up in to the 2nd training zone which is really about a brisk walk. If you're not there you are just burning normal calories which would be part of your BMR and thus eating more calories you think you're burning by all that walking you end up creating a calorie surplus not a deficit.
    Now, that said...if it's only 1 day I wouldn't even worry about it and just enjoy yourself. Throwing in a high calorie day once in a while (if you've been good for a while), will throw your metabolism into a higher gear.
    Just don't go to crazy....it's not a license to go overboard.
    [/quote]

I agree with you about the HR thing, but walking all day like that has got to burn some calories. Doing that much walking is not something I would do on normal days, that's why I think I should count it.