Meal replacements

Options
Hi guys I'm currently doing 2 shakes a day or 1 shake and 1 meal replacement bar and a healthy 600 calorie meal for dinner along with 3 100 calorie snacks so basically it's like slim fast is anyone else doing similar?! Please feel free to add me as a friend I could do with all the support I can get ☺️ ..xx..

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    That's fine, but what happens when you start eating real food again? Will you be able to maintain any weight that you've lost while drinking the shakes and those meal replacement bars? :#
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The issue for people who just use meal replacements it that they don't know how to eat meals when they get back to actually eating. They teach you nothing of how to measure and portion correctly. Hence the reason why liquid diets have the highest weight regain percentage over all other diets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Nail on the head!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    what happens when you return to the real world and normal food....
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own milkshakes and soups? That's what I do. Those proprietary slimming products might be useful in an emergency - but it's pretty low grade food, dull to eat and unsatisfying. Unless you want to spend the rest of your life eating food that comes dry and powdered from a packet I'd say save your money.
    Even astronauts don't eat such stuff!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't you miss food?
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The issue for people who just use meal replacements it that they don't know how to eat meals when they get back to actually eating. They teach you nothing of how to measure and portion correctly. Hence the reason why liquid diets have the highest weight regain percentage over all other diets.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Did she not say she was eating a very healthy dinner? As an augmentation they are fine, but can have sugars and such. I see those things as useful tools when I am busier than s***. Still better than mackin down on some jack in the box 4 times a day is it not?

• trigden1991
    Options
    Bghere1 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Did she not say she was eating a very healthy dinner? As an augmentation they are fine, but can have sugars and such. I see those things as useful tools when I am busier than s***. Still better than mackin down on some jack in the box 4 times a day is it not?

They are a useful tool to make up protein if required. At the end of the day, its just about creating a caloric deficit for fat loss and making a lifestyle change is a bonus.
  • 1975Janice
    1975Janice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ^looks like your getting great support.. not.

I'm doing shakes too. I normally only have one a day unless I'm really busy. I have it in the morning (I'm busy with kids), I found I skipped breakfast before that & ate crappy food.
    I hope your feeling good within your self & happy with your body.
  • Alz_D
    Alz_D Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting something :smile:

Shakes are a great way to kick start making changes in the right circumstances. I think most of the comments above are right in their own way. It comes down to discipline, both now while being restricted and not snacking in between and also when the time is right for you to come off and introduce "normal" food. Ninerbuff is right, it can be hard to switch back after spending a long time on MRP's - doesn't mean it is not right for you at the moment. I have been successful previously and kept a sensible weight for 2 years using this sort of method! It wasn't the adding food that messed me up, it was unhealthy relationships down the line and lifestyle changes.

Good luck anyway.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey!! If the shakes work for you, great! I like protein bars and shakes in order to increase my protein intake. Bars tend to be higher in sugars, and certain drinks too.

Pure Protein are some of my faves. As a school teacher, I often am coaching through lunch, so I find them great to get macro nutrients in during hectic times.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They are a useful tool to make up protein if required. At the end of the day, its just about creating a caloric deficit for fat loss and making a lifestyle change is a bonus.

If all you want to do is just lose weight sure...but the goal shouldn't be just weight loss it should weight loss and maintenance...and these meal replacements teach you nothing about maintenance...
  • trigden1991
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If all you want to do is just lose weight sure...but the goal shouldn't be just weight loss it should weight loss and maintenance...and these meal replacements teach you nothing about maintenance...

I was looking at it objectively. To lose weight, eat in a caloric deficit. Lifestyle and long term is a choice but a caloric deficit is the means to lose weight excluding surgery.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Define liquid diet. Sounds like the OP is eating dinner and a couple snacks a day. People here seem very anti things that make life a bit easier.

I don't have time to literally eat 6x a day, so I supplement my 3 whole food meals with protein juice and a few almonds or a shake. It hit my macros and calories, don't get hungry between meals and I can do it on the go, rather than sit down and eat chicken and rice. I don't get the "doesn't teach people how to eat or measure". I measure everything right down to weighing my protein powder to make sure I'm getting the proper grammages of the serving.

OP, you do you. If it is working for you, it's helping you keep to your calorie goals and you aren't feeling starving you just keep on trucking.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Define liquid diet. Sounds like the OP is eating dinner and a couple snacks a day. People here seem very anti things that make life a bit easier.

I don't have time to literally eat 6x a day, so I supplement my 3 whole food meals with protein juice and a few almonds or a shake. It hit my macros and calories, don't get hungry between meals and I can do it on the go, rather than sit down and eat chicken and rice. I don't get the "doesn't teach people how to eat or measure". I measure everything right down to weighing my protein powder to make sure I'm getting the proper grammages of the serving.

OP, you do you. If it is working for you, it's helping you keep to your calorie goals and you aren't feeling starving you just keep on trucking.
    When you replace 1 or more meals with a "shake" that is premixed by a company trying to sell stuff.

Why are you eating 6x a day? and how is that different from drinking a premixed shake?

Who says you need to sit and eat chicken and rice? try yogurt, cheese strings, fruit etc.

and a lot of people don't know how to maintain the weight they lost...why because they didn't learn how to do portion control.
  • BillMcKay1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When you replace 1 or more meals with a "shake" that is premixed by a company trying to sell stuff.

Why are you eating 6x a day? and how is that different from drinking a premixed shake?

Who says you need to sit and eat chicken and rice? try yogurt, cheese strings, fruit etc.

and a lot of people don't know how to maintain the weight they lost...why because they didn't learn how to do portion control.

Why aren't you eating 6x a day?

I eat 6x a day because that is what I have found works for me. It keeps me full all day and helps me maintain my caloric deficit and hit my macro profiles. Chicken and rice was just an example. If she has learned to do proper portion control on her dinner and snacks by weighing and measuring, then bam, she has learned portion control.

A calorie is a calorie right, who cares if it is liquid or whole food as long as you are taking in the correct number of calories. Who cares if you eat 6 or 3 or once if you calories are correct and however or whatever you eat it keeps you on track. Maybe she intends to continue on using shakes during her maintenance.

• SezxyStef
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I eat 6x a day because that is what I have found works for me. It keeps me full all day and helps me maintain my caloric deficit and hit my macro profiles. Chicken and rice was just an example. If she has learned to do proper portion control on her dinner and snacks by weighing and measuring, then bam, she has learned portion control.

A calorie is a calorie right, who cares if it is liquid or whole food as long as you are taking in the correct number of calories. Who cares if you eat 6 or 3 or once if you calories are correct and however or whatever you eat it keeps you on track. Maybe she intends to continue on using shakes during her maintenance.

I guess the same reason you are...but it was a valid question as lots think eating more frequently revs the metabolism when it doesn't.

and it matters because most people who do "meal replacement shakes" have a goal of "losing weight" and they do that and bam off the liquids, gain the weight back and aren't sure why.....never really paying attention to how much they were eating really...

it's often a good idea to switch focus from just weight loss to weight loss and maintenance a long time before you hit maintenance...and as ninerbuff indicated those "diets" have the highest failure rates of them all...
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone here. There's nothing inherently wrong with having meal replacement shakes and bars. They do what every other diet plan on the market does, and that's create a deficit. The problem is that you could create that same deficit eating whatever YOU wanted. Look at the nutritional info on the back of one of your shakes. A calorie is a calorie in terms of weight loss. You could eat a candy bar instead of a shake, or for more nutrition, throw together a nice sandwich with lettuce and tomato. As long as your calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditure (and remember this doesn't mean just exercise, your body burns hundreds or thousands of calories every day just keeping everything alive and well), you will lose weight. If you think the bars/shakes are tasty and filling, by all means continue with what you're doing. But don't force yourself to eat these things twice a day just to follow some stupid diet plan on the back of a slim fast box.
  • BillMcKay1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I guess the same reason you are...but it was a valid question as lots think eating more frequently revs the metabolism when it doesn't.

and it matters because most people who do "meal replacement shakes" have a goal of "losing weight" and they do that and bam off the liquids, gain the weight back and aren't sure why.....never really paying attention to how much they were eating really...

it's often a good idea to switch focus from just weight loss to weight loss and maintenance a long time before you hit maintenance...and as ninerbuff indicated those "diets" have the highest failure rates of them all...

I would guess that the "most" people who struggle are also ones who aren't tracking portions and calories at all. They probably do not even make the connection that the shakes are helping them lose weight because they are limiting their calories for them. If you are used to over eating large breakfasts and lunches and start having a 200cal shake instead, it is moderating their caloric intake even if they don't really understand the "why" they work.

I'm going under the assumption here that being as the OP is on MFP and tracking her portions and calorie intake for dinner and snacks, she is aware of CICO and how the meal replacements fit into that.