How many calories/hr burned as a cashier/bagger?

Options
Hey everyone, I want to create my own exercise for my MFP app as a cashier and bagger. Obviously both consist of standing around most of the time, but with bagging I move around more to other registers to help bag, and there are lots of chores to do like cleaning registers and putting bags at every register. Also, probably every two hours or so depending on how busy the store is and how many baggers are working, one has to go out to the parking lot and bring in all the carts. This is can be pretty vigorous exercise, especially if it's hot out. So if anyone could give me a rough estimate of how many calories are burned while being a cashier and bagger, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    really?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. If you really want to know if your job bumps you up from sedentary to active, get a cheap pedometer and see how much you actually move on a workday, then adjust your baseline activity level accordingly. But I wouldn't log it as actual exercise.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Don't log normal daily activity. I log things like upstairs housework or hour long walks in the store because I'm a dirty hermit who never leaves the house and I only clean the whole apartment once a week, sometimes once every two weeks. :P
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I was a cashier at a grocery store before & that involves a lot of exercise! I got a good cardio workout ringing up groceries......
  • crapshack
    crapshack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This website has a ton of activities. If you click on "Activity Calculator" then search for "clerk" you can put in your weight and get an idea of what you burn at work.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
  • peachcats
    Options
    Consider getting transferred to cart pusher if you want to burn calories, I used to do a while back and it's pretty much cardio the entire time.

side note:
    you get treated the same way you got paid. I doubt cashiers are much different in that regard, though.
  • pilgrimsdaughter
    Options
    All I know is, I started as a cashier at a grocery store 2.5 weeks ago, and I've lost 6 pounds in that time, without changing my diet.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=11&ti=Occupation&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68

Standing on the job, light
    Including bartending, store clerk, assembling, filing, duplicating, putting up a Christmas tree; standing and talking at work, changing clothes when teaching physical education
    88 per hour
    Standing occupation, light to moderate
    Assembly or repair of heavy parts, welding, stocking, auto repair, packing boxes for moving, patient care (as in nursing)
    136 her hour
    Lifting items continuously
    10-20 lb objects, with limited walking or resting
    204 per hour
    Standing; moderate
    Such as assembling at fast rate, intermittent, lifting 50 lbs, hitch/twisting ropes
    170 per hour
  • Jennilaw_77
    Jennilaw_77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. It depends in what type of cashier you are. If you do plain groceries. You would burn less than a cashier at a store that sells all types of products. I can promise you that a supercenter store will bump up your calories . If you bag and do cashier work and walk the floor then you are not doing light work. I wish I could give calorie intake, but you could get a monitor.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would be surprised if you burned enough calories worth counting.

I worked as a cashier for three-four years at a grocery store. Standing up all day was uncomfortable if we didn't have floor mats down, but it wasn't particularly strenuous - certainly not enough to be considered notable exercise...
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I worked in retail... I had days where I didn't get much of a workout but on busy days, running around the store, getting clothes, hanging things back up, ringing, bagging... I know I got some king of workout just from being sore at night but i'm sure nothing great.. Same when I worked in a deli (I averaged 12,000+ steps and over 100 active minutes) but I didn't count it as a workout. I think I may have tried to eat a bit heavier though... It's been quite a while since I've done that kind of work.

A pedometer won't really give you any idea how active you are when you are cashing because you are standing but the bending and twisting can sometimes, give you a light burn. I would put yourself at lightly active and stay 100% in your calories and watch the scale for a couple weeks. If you notice a slight upward gain then go back to being sedentary and maybe put in for your workout a short walk of about 250 calories. However, I won't worry too much about it unless you are average 40-50 a week doing this kind of work.

I don't count the walking, bending, running around I do in my office as a workout. Sure, I might get some active minutes out of it but nothing I count towards a workout and I keep my activity level at sedentary even though I'm up and down all day. I just don't think most jobs count enough for a real burn... even though it can feel like it at the end of the day!!

BUT, if you are hellbent on knowing, I would get an activity monitor and take it from there!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Since it should be part of your regular activity level, zero.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother. If you really want to know if your job bumps you up from sedentary to active, get a cheap pedometer and see how much you actually move on a workday, then adjust your baseline activity level accordingly. But I wouldn't log it as actual exercise.

This^

Bump up your starting point a bit. Don't log as exercise. Adding too many normal daily activities will only decrease your weekly weight loss. Just log the deliberate add-ons.