Tracking running miles?

Options
leds81
leds81 Posts: 16 Member
i am doing a challenge with a friend to run 200 miles in the next 3 months. Is there any easy way to track this with MFP? Or another easy app for it that communicates with MFP? Thanks for any help! 5 miles down, 195 to go!

Replies

• workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Map my Run app. It is another UA app and they can be set to sync.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just use a spreadsheet
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper syncs with MFP
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Runtastic can also be synced with MFP.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Strava also works and syncs with MFP.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava are the ones I'd recommend.
  • leds81
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Tried out map my run and I can just input the miles I did, so seems like it will work but doesn't seem to tally for me. I can deal with that, I suppose, but I will take a look at the others. I don't want to run with my phone, am I the only person left who doesn't?
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    No, you're not. I don't run with my phone either. I use my trusty old ipod Nano to measure and keep track of my miles. It uses older pedometer technology and can be frustratingly inconsistent but it is close enough for my purposes, small, and holds plenty of music.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you want and excuse to buy a new toy the Garmin Forerunner 10's are under $80 brand new. No bluetooth sync but will do what you want.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I run with my phone. My Garmin keeps track of time, miles and course ran. My phone supplies me with my running beat (play list) and is a phone in case of trouble. Should something go awry, twisted ankle, cramps that prevent me form going on, thunderstorms, what ever, I have a way to call for assistance.
  • workout_junkee
    Options
    leds81 wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas. Tried out map my run and I can just input the miles I did, so seems like it will work but doesn't seem to tally for me. I can deal with that, I suppose, but I will take a look at the others. I don't want to run with my phone, am I the only person left who doesn't?

It does tally. You just need to go into your profile. You will also get weekly, monthly and yearly emails with your totals:).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i tried many of the above mentioned apps. i like and use runkeeper now and my garmin vivosmart
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Strava
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your distances now?

Personally I'm a big fan of Garmin products (I like the feedback - pace & heart-rate & keeps my distances honest) and the Forerunner 10 (their entry level product) will do everything you need (in conjunction with Garmin Connect software (free) for under $100 (If you decide to keep on running you may find this to be a very useful tool, well worth the investment)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your distances now?

Personally I'm a big fan of Garmin products (I like the feedback - pace & heart-rate & keeps my distances honest) and the Forerunner 10 (their entry level product) will do everything you need (in conjunction with Garmin Connect software (free) for under $100 (If you decide to keep on running you may find this to be a very useful tool, well worth the investment)

I'd also suggest the Forerunner 15. I just bought one for my wife and it's an all day Activity Tracker, Sleep Tracker, and GPS running Watch. She loves it. I got it for her for Mother's Day and hasn't taken it off since.

You can use Endomondo and Strava to input just miles ran if you want. I would use those two when I would Run on the Treadmill at the gym and you can log just miles ran.
  • workout_junkee
    Options
    I agree Garmin products are great. I have a 230. It uploads all my runs to MMR. I find the Garmin more accurate but enjoy MMR for their challenges and like the status emails.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use the garmin forerunner 10 and love it. I also don't run with a phone, I just like to think and enjoy scenery when I run and don't need music. But the garmin tracks mileage, pace, etc.
  • leds81
    Options
    No, you're not. I don't run with my phone either. I use my trusty old ipod Nano to measure and keep track of my miles. It uses older pedometer technology and can be frustratingly inconsistent but it is close enough for my purposes, small, and holds plenty of music.

Yes! iPod nano! I'll have to see if mine has a pedometer. I have been so reluctant to upgrade, it's so light and perfect and has a clip. Have not found anything better, but it's on it's last legs. Currently I alternate between running on treadmill, running known loops or on a marked bike path, so knowing a rough distance isn't too hard. But could certainly do better! Will look into a garmin for my husband for Father's Day. He had one a few years ago, nothing but frustration needing constant charging. I imagine they've improved a lot since.