Weight loss by reducing calories alone

Options
Hello myfitnesspal members!

While I understand the benefits of exercise in the weight loss journey I find I am losing simply by reducing calories to make my deficit. I do throw in a activity once in a while, but not enough to contribute to my weight loss thus far,

How many of you have and are losing weight simply by reducing calories with little to no exercise?

Cheers

Replies

• MrsBaaadger
    MrsBaaadger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of very little exercise. I've lost nearly 4 stone on reduced calories alone. I am working on upping the exercise and have been doing more toning exercises but I should probably increase the cardiovascular too!
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a substantial amount of weight (70lbs) I did it without exercising. Loosing weight and exercising do not go hand in hand. Loosing weight is all about food and calories.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am sure there are many people losing weight without exercise. Just remember this, exercise is important for more than fat loss/building muscle. You need to keep your heart healthy and physical activity is an import part of that as is eating healthy! 30 minutes a day is all you need. That could be a 30 minute walk or a 10 minute walk 3 times a day or putting some music on and dancing for 30 minutes.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Many people can't or choose not to exercise, it's all about the calorie deficit for weight loss. I don't exercise, but it means I have to be tighter with my calorie intake as I don't have the leeway that someone burning more calories through exercise might have.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You only need an caloric deficit to lose weight. I personally can lose weight just find by reducing my caloric intake. But if a plateau occurs, then adding cardio will usually help break past it. You sound like your on the right track!
  • dalefromwisconsin
    dalefromwisconsin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    188# down in 20 months with just walking as exercise.
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds in 17 weeks (about 1.3lbs a week) by changing diet alone. I just recently started lifting weights (light weights). I need to change the shape of my body now. My body is the annoying skinny-fat at the current moment
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have lost 89lbs with minimal exercise!
  • ms_lmg27
    ms_lmg27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise and lose about 1 pound a week. I eat around 1300 cal most days, not counting most fruits and veggies.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Since I've started some has been with exercise (I've grown to love the gym), but also a lot without, as I had some bed-rest recovery for procedures. Lost weight consistently no matter the circumstances. You can lose weight with calorie control alone for sure.