Hypermobility joint syndrome

Options
2»

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm hyper mobile and I highly recommend strength training to build up the support around your joints. Swimming and cycling are also good. The only thing my physio told me to avoid was yoga. I think the most important thing is to really focus on what you are doing and ensure you don't overextend. My training schedule looks like this just for your info:
    Monday - rest day but in April I will be going back to ballet classes.
    Tuesday - spinning and circuit training
    Wednesday - spinning
    Thursday - circuit training
    Friday - spinning
    Saturday - spinning
    Sunday - spinning and circuit training.
    I also do SL5x5 and fit my lifting days around my work schedule etc. I always lift before the cardio so my muscles aren't too tired. I tend to do lifting on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.

I have tried a couple of knee supports but my physio is not a fan of them because they can falsely reassure you. She is going to show me how to use k tape.
  • NaturesHealthyLivingFairy
    Options
    debsbiggs wrote: »
    I'm hyper mobile and I highly recommend strength training to build up the support around your joints. Swimming and cycling are also good. The only thing my physio told me to avoid was yoga. I think the most important thing is to really focus on what you are doing and ensure you don't overextend. My training schedule looks like this just for your info:
    Monday - rest day but in April I will be going back to ballet classes.
    Tuesday - spinning and circuit training
    Wednesday - spinning
    Thursday - circuit training
    Friday - spinning
    Saturday - spinning
    Sunday - spinning and circuit training.
    I also do SL5x5 and fit my lifting days around my work schedule etc. I always lift before the cardio so my muscles aren't too tired. I tend to do lifting on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.

I have tried a couple of knee supports but my physio is not a fan of them because they can falsely reassure you. She is going to show me how to use k tape.

Oh wow, thank you so much for the detailed input! :D
    Ahh I have t hears of ktape before :o is it similar to sports tape?
    Your routine sounds awesome :) I hope to build up to something similar slowly :D thank you again for your reply
    -happy wishes- ^^
  • lauralou93a
    lauralou93a Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have hyper mobility syndrome and IBS at the moment I don't suffer with pain but used to a lot I don't take any meds and I'm lucky in the fact that I don't sublux or dislocate - so far anyway .
    But I need to find some safe exercises for me to help me on my weight loss journey currently just walking to do the school run when I have to
  • lauralou93a
    lauralou93a Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thinking of doing Pilate's using YouTube again I used to do this as its supposed to be a safe exercise need to find exercises to do at home
  • TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thing to remember with any movement is that you are looking to do it slowly with control. If you are stretching you need to make sure you are feeling it where you are mean to be feeling it. A decent instructor will be able to sort you out.

If you do pilates (behind swimming this would be the best plan) try and get a small class where the instructor can get round everyone and check what they are doing.

Yoga is not so good as it focuses on stretching tha that is way too easy with hypermobile joints

Yes yes definitely learn to swim! That is by far the bestest safest form of cardio you can do.

But you do need absolutely need physio/hydrotherapy. Not all physios are so great with hypermobile joints so make sure you get a decent one and don't be afraid to ask for a second (or even third) opinion. Sadly in the UK you often need a private physio opinion before you get the help on the nhs, they are massively overworked. All my little lot have hypermobile ankles and all of us have had periods of repeated sprains which have either been helped or stopped.

Yy to kinesiology/physio/k tape for injuries but only until you can get back to the physio. Make sure you are taping in a way that encourages movement and ongoing use of the muscles (that you are always trying to strengthen), so for example on a severe sprain my physio strapped the ankle with only 3 long strips of tape (passing underneath the sole of the foot crossing on top and finishing mid way up the leg)

But with your level of difficulty I would be seriously worried about starting a programme of exercise outside water without you having a package of physio and hypermobility doctor alongside
  • danzrlove
    danzrlove Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Anybody else here who has hypermobility joint syndrome? :)
    Is there a certain exercise or routine or something you found that helps you and your hypermobile joints in some way? What's your routine like? What do you do? :)

Also is there a certain type of clothing with brace/support/stabalizer you utilize for workouts? For which part of your body? And does it help?:)
    I find I dislocate joints multiple times a week >.> as tiring as it I just work through it but I'm curious as to if there are more efficient methods out there and what everyone else does :>
    Thank you to everyone and anyone who replies \^o^/
    And those going through hypermobility JS, hang in there! :)

I was officially diagnosed last week. Several years of unexplained aches and pains and advice contrary to my condition. I am trying to figure out what to hang on to and what to toss. I'm a dancer and I worry about continuing. I'm 30 btw. Right now I'm on the hunt for good knee braces since my ankles and hips are putting more pressure there. I have subluxations it seems all the time several times a day in hips, spine, knees and ribs. My ankles are also unstable and give out so heels are a thing of the past
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've long suspected I had hyper mobility (a doctor mentioned it as a possibility years ago) but reading all of this has made me decide to add it to the list of things I'm going to talk to my doctor about when I go see him.

I can't run because the knobbly bones in my left ankle pop out (they do it walking too, but running means I fall), my right femur rolls put at the hip, and my shoulders like to pop like wet rice krispies.

I think I'm about to find out that choosing a sports medicine doctor as my primary physician (he does that too, but I chose him because he has low wait times for appointments) is the best accidentally awesome choice I've made in years.

That poor man isn't going to know what hit him when I pull out my little notebook with its list!
  • danzrlove
    danzrlove Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    From what I've read I believe Rheumatologists and geneticists are the doctors who can diagnose the syndrome. I have had a physical therapist mention it years ago, but he didn't make it seem important nor mention it to my pop at the time.