Weight Loss doesnt seem to add up - Frustrated

Options
I am currently eating around 1300 - 1500 calories most days. Maybe one day a week with calories around 1800. I exercise at least 3 times a week sometimes more (1 weights circuits class, 2 taekwondo classes plus biking walking and swimming with my kids) As of the past 4 weeks I have been 100% committed to calorie counting and exercising but I'm unhappy with the rate of losses.
Week 1 was 5lb and I was delighted (NO EXERCISE)
Week 2 was 4 lb and again delighted (Started exercise)
Week 3 was 1lb and that was ok
This week I have weighed in and stayed the same and I am really miffed as I have tried so very hard.
I know this journey is going to take a very long time as I want to lose at least 6 stone BUT I still want that magic wand and I really want a bigger loss than 1lb a week especially when I'm working my *kitten* off to get it :-(

Anyone any ideas?

Replies

• MrsBaaadger
    MrsBaaadger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    flosoup38 wrote: »
    I am currently eating around 1300 - 1500 calories most days. Maybe one day a week with calories around 1800. I exercise at least 3 times a week sometimes more (1 weights circuits class, 2 taekwondo classes plus biking walking and swimming with my kids) As of the past 4 weeks I have been 100% committed to calorie counting and exercising but I'm unhappy with the rate of losses.
    This week I have weighed in and stayed the same and I am really miffed as I have tried so very hard.
    I know this journey is going to take a very long time as I want to lose at least 6 stone BUT I still want that magic wand and I really want a bigger loss than 1lb a week especially when I'm working my *kitten* off to get it :-(

Anyone any ideas?

Sounds like you're doing just fine to me. You can't sustain a loss of more than 2lb a week. Lower your target, aim for 2-3 stone initially, it's a lot less to get your head around. As you approach your goal you can extend it if you feel ready to.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    1lb a week in a year is 52lb!! Keep it up!
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Your body isn't a machine. It won't react exactly as predicted every time. It will however reward you for treating it right over the long term. 10 lbs in a month is fantastic. Keep doing what you're doing. Great Work!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Yep- your numbers are fine right now. It's not unusual to have big losses the first couple of weeks when you have a lot to lose, but a lot of that is water weight. Now you're leveling out. As the pp said, you're basically losing 2.5 lbs/week right now, but the scale isn't likely to show a 2.5 lb loss *every* week.
    Try this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I often go 5-14 days with no budge on the scale and then a big whoosh where it comes off all at once. It depends on hormonal changes, salt intake, muscle repair after a big work out.

Weight loss is not linear. Have patience.

But...also, it'll still be at 1-2 pounds per week, anything more isn't good for you :)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    (Off topic, but I LOVE your pic! :) )
  • flosoup38
    flosoup38 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. You are all right. I just need to be patient! Hard though, when you want over night success. I need to be realistic though.

• flosoup38
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    (Off topic, but I LOVE your pic! :) )

I love Malificent
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 5 pounds a week, you're not going to lose 5 pounds a week. It would be great if it was that easy though!
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Don't overclock your weight loss expectations based on the first few weeks, it's not sustainable and not realistic and will lead to frustrations. Instead focus more on how you feel and keep drinking that water! Non-scale-victories (NSV) are just as important, if not more important on your new journey! Keep up the good work thus far!
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, it's a long journey. Hang in there!
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    For it to be a sustainable weight loss you need to lose no more than 2lbs per week. I have lost 89 lbs at the rate of one to two pounds/week. I'm still going and it's not hard to keep the weight off.
  • campbek
    campbek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am like you. I would get discouraged when I didn't see big results quickly but this go around I mapped everything out and set the dates that I should weigh certain amounts and it has worked perfectly. I am right on track in the big picture of losing 2 lbs a week. So far I have lost 21 lbs and I am 10 lbs from my goal. You can do this just figure out a strategy to be patient and make notes of tiny changes and improvements. That will help you feel the progress.
  • AlanBardgett
    AlanBardgett Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello flosoup38,

1) Stay the course!
    2) The initial big weight loss rate is fun, but wouldn't be healthly at all to continue.
    3) After the first 3 weeks of dieting and weighing about every other day, I decided to only weigh in one day a week. Due to the weight variables (current water %, meals eaten, uh - meals eaten but not yet discarded, and all that), I do weight a couple times after "daily events" if I haven't had a weight loss on that day.
    4) Pay attention to weekly trends, not specific days! 2 weighins ago (about 2 months into diet), I had weight loss but not as much as I expected (I had quite a bit of exercise that week). I was like "WTH! All that work for nothing!". Then the next weigh in reflected a 4.5 pound decrease. It reminded me I needed to look at trends and again, stay the course.
    5) Keep a log! Being a nerd, I have a spreadsheet that I keep track of dates, weights, and calculate rates. That's in addition to what MyFitnessPal keeps track of.
    6) As others have stated, also keep in mind that weight is a number, focus on changes in your health and performance improvements that you already see and your end goal activities!

--Alan
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    flosoup38 wrote: »

Anyone any ideas?

Full disclosure: I only read the first few responses and skimmed the rest, but I didn't see this mentioned.

You appear to have only recently upped/added exercise. This tends to cause our bodies to retain water, to help repair muscles and other tissues. It usually (but not always) goes away after a few weeks. The first 9 lbs you lost were probably mostly (but not all) water weight, as that tends to happen when people begin dieting. My guess is that your retained water is masking fat/weight loss. Give it a few more weeks, and I'd think you'll see another couple of pounds come off.
  • flosoup38
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll just keep plugging away :-)