Diet / recovery question

Options
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a particular recommended split of Carbs / Protein / Fat that I should be aiming for while loosing weight and does it matter what time you eat certain things?

I'm also looking for tips on recovery and what to eat / drink post workout. I'm finding my legs can't keep up the further along the week goes.

I'm currently doing T25 each morning and trying to fit in 3 cardio sessions at the gym each week as well. I did start a thread HERE about me and where I am if anyone is interested. I appreciate it's a bit of a lot to read ha ha.

Any advice would be great. Anyone that wants to add me to keep me motivated please feel free :smiley:

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    If you go to "Goals" section, MFP has a default macro percentage recommended. You could start there and change it later if you like.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Macros are generally a personal preference. Meal timing as well.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Here are the macro goals that are recommended by the sports science research...
    Protein: ~0.8-1.2 g/lb of body weight
    Fat: ~20-25% of calories
    Carbs: the rest of your calories

As for post-workout nutrition, I just eat a meal to get the recovery process going.
  • Alz_D
    Alz_D Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - so now I just have to figure out how to eat 248g of protein each day :neutral:

Can't be that hard!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Unless you weigh 248lbs and hav relatively low bodyfat that is excessive. Anywhere between 0.6-1.0 g/lb of lean body mass is sufficient. Carbs post workout can help recovery and replenish glycogen stores.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter, and macro's are a personal choice...Don't overthink it. Why only cardio? Chocolate milk is a yummy after workout drink - a good balance of carbs, fat and protein that works well for recovery....
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Timing doesn't matter, and macro's are a personal choice...Don't overthink it. Why only cardio? Chocolate milk is a yummy after workout drink - a good balance of carbs, fat and protein that works well for recovery....

Not necessarily true about timings. There is fairly extensive research on the area;

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-growth-and-post-workout-nutrition.html/

Summarises quite well.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Alz_D wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies - so now I just have to figure out how to eat 248g of protein each day :neutral:

Can't be that hard!!

You probably don't need to eat that much protein, maybe work out what your target weight is and calculate your protein requirements based on that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Alz_D wrote: »

Can't be that hard!!

I aim for 0.8 grams for each lb of BW...works out to about 120grams...

if you are calculating 1 gram try 0.8 and it's down a bit.

Getting in 120 grams on 1500 a day is actually fairly simple...so I suspect you will be surprised how easy it is.

Just get used to prelogging meals and tweaking as necessary to hit your protein and calories.