Tough Mudder people?

Options
My husband's co-workers found out I am getting in shape and want me to possibly do a Tough Mudder with them in October. I'm interested in hearing about the experience from others who have done this. Is there a fair amount of running between obstacles? How intense is the shocking thing? lol Any other details/opinions appreciated.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lol, I would love to do one someday...they were just talking about it on the radio the other day. The one girl's brother did one and was shocked and said that at the end of that part he fully expected paramedics to come up to him to check him out, but nothing like that...just kept on going after that. He was fine, but said he absolutely felt it!!!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am doing a Spartan race in October, I don't think I am ready for Tough Mudder yet, but good luck!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I wasn't in good enough shape to do it this year (it was a week or 2 ago in CO), but I am planning on doing it next year. It sounds like it would be awesome!
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

That would be SO much fun. I've always wanted to do that.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I did a Warrior Dash and that was enough for me. I really enjoyed the obstacles and the running wasn't an issue for me. I absolutely hated the mud. The Tough Mudder looks way more intense. Good luck if you decide to do it!
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    They are generally 10-12 miles, I'd say there is plenty of running between obstacles.
  • ToughestMudder
    Options
    Hey everyone! I encourage you to check out ToughestMudder.com (the Unofficial Fan Website) for Tough Mudder. There are plenty of stories, tips, encouragement and much more. Good luck!
  • P90XLE
    P90XLE Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did the Tough Mudder New England. I am now the proud owner of a Tough Mudder head band! The Tough Mudder New England consisted of running up and down Mount Snow in Vermont, while doing a number of obstacles throughout the course. One obstacle I will never forget is having to cross the snow making pond, (Water temperature was 35 degree on top, who knows what the temperature was 6 feet below the water). As I exited the pond, I could not feel my feet or legs. It was a strange feeling walking and not being able to feel any part of your legs or feet for the first 5 minutes after exiting the pond.

I used P90X and Insansity for my training regiment leading up to the Tough Mudder. EVERYTHING that I needed to complete the course I received doing P90X and Insanity. P90X was the strength training and Insanity was the cardio portion of the Tough Mudder. High Knee Abs helped me run up the mountain. Plank to Chataranga run helped me with the barbed wire obstacle. Pull-ups for the 12 foot wall, Insanity max cardio conditioning for the running portions and Core Synergistics for carrying the log up the side of the mountain and back down again.

Over all noticed that my recovery time after each obstacle/running section of the course was very short. This is based on the training I got through Insanity.

Based on the course you are doing, you could do a hybrid version of P90X and Insanity.

Tip of the day: The shock obstacle is on a cycle. Every 1 to 1.5 seconds it shocks you. So if you time it right, you can run through the obstacle without getting shocked. I ran through it without getting shocked. As they say, "timing is everything....." If you do get shocked it hurts, but not too bad.
  • ashley4923
    ashley4923 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did the Tough Mudder in NY and it was a blast! It took place at an ATV Park so for ours there was a lot of hill running and trail running. It was the best run / event I have done! It does challenge you physically but is definitely worth the effort and money! It was awesome to see the teams come together to help each other out and how much fun everyone was having!

The shocking was crazy! It did sting when you got shocked but your adrenaline is pumping so much you get over it quick. The Arctic Enema was a tough one too! Your body is hot and muscles are nice and warm and then jumping into that your body just tenses right up.

100% worth it! Doing it again in 2014 and every year after! I am already looking forward to the next one!